Friday, March 8, 2019

Erika Farrell Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has a new visitor! Erika Farrell is a talented singer, a Red Sox fan, and the current Miss New Haven County. I was
thrilled that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. I hope you enjoy what she had to say!

So, lets see what happens when Erika Farrell visits Section 36!



How did you celebrate winning the Miss New Haven County crown?
I celebrated winning like anyone in the United States celebrates— with food! I was so thankful to have my family and friends there supporting me every step of the way. We all went out to dinner after the pageant, and that is when it had truly set in that I had won. 

What portion of the upcoming Miss Connecticut competition are you most nervous about?
It is hard to say what I am most nervous for. I have a lot of excited energy towards the upcoming Miss Connecticut competition. I felt overwhelmingly calm at Miss New Haven County, that I can just hope to have that same feeling during all portions of the competition in June. 

Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss New Haven County?
My biggest goal as Miss New Haven County is to grow my social impact. In just one short week of being crowned I have already had the opportunity to be featured in multiple media outlets, newspapers, and on television. I can only continue to go up from here! Turning your pain into power can be a hard concept to adapt at first, but by the end of my year I plan for it to become a household term across Connecticut. With my help, people will be able to always find a positive outlet through their darkest of times. 

How did you select your platform “Pain into Power”?
In 2014 I was diagnosed with three chronic illnesses that completely changed my world. That first year after diagnosis was a pivotal time for me, and helped me realize that this all happened to me for a specific reason. I have come to find that my life purpose is to help others by sharing my journey with chronic illness, and including all of the amazing things I am still accomplishing despite my constant battle. “Turn Your Pain into Power” has become my motto and I really believe it is something we should all try to live by. 

What is your favorite part about performing your talent on stage?
I have been performing on stage since I was three years old in my
first dance recital. The arts are something that I grew up with and hold very close to my heart. I feel that I best express myself through singing, which will be my talent at Miss Connecticut! My favorite part is just being in the moment and leaving it all on that stage. I have grown so much as a performer through the years and my love for performing continues to grow with that. 

What is your favorite holiday?
My absolute favorite holiday is Christmas. Anyone who knows me knows that I have a countdown going all year long. I start decorating October 1st. Christmas music and movies don’t have to be enjoyed just in December. I know I’m not the only one who feels this way since Christmas in July exists on the Hallmark channel (second best time of the year). 

Who is your favorite current Red Sox player? Why?
My favorite player is Dustin Pedroia. My dad is a diehard Yankee’s fan and even he loves him! He is just an all around great player. It is too bad he spent most of last season injured. I am hoping he makes a great comeback this season. Maybe I can give him a few pointers on turning his pain into power. 

Is there a feature or activity at Fenway Park that you'd especially like to experience?
I would love to get the chance to participate in the Run to Home Base race. It would be such an amazing experience to be able to cross the finish line at home plate, while raising funds for our nation’s veterans.

What were you doing when the Red Sox won the 2018 World Series?
Unfortunately, working in the hospital doesn’t allow the greatest schedule flexibility. When the Red Sox won, I was at work. Thankfully we have a lounge in the back so I kept stopping by to keep an eye on the score and get updates. 

-----

I'm glad she was able to follow along!


As usual, I want to thank to Erika for doing this interview. I'm also glad that she sent along so many great pictures of her special night. Pictures add so much to the interview.  I also definitely want to wish her the best of luck as she competes for the Miss Connecticut crown this summer. It would be so much fun to have another former visitor wear that crown.

As Erika continues her time as Miss New Haven County, I encourage you to follow her on her official Miss New Haven County Facebook page. It’ll be worth your time! 

Thanks again Erika, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week