Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Marissa Johnson Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Marissa Johnson is passionate about the Pink Ribbon Initiative, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Northeast. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Marissa Johnson visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Northeast crown?

With a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! I didn't have time to eat much during the day and with a long ride home, my celebratory dinner was a sandwich my mom had packed me. And in that moment, it was the best pb and j I had ever had. When we got home, I took a traditional "sleeping with the crown" picture, thanked both of my parents one last time and went to bed.


What has been the most pleasant surprise about your short time as Miss Northeast?

The true love and support from every one of the other local titleholders. It may sound cheesy, but people call it a sisterhood for a reason. I have never been surrounded by so many intelligent, strong and ambitious young women. But what's more than that is the unconditional love and support they showed me even before I was officially named Miss Northeast. It's easy for women to feel threatened or intimidated by each other, but these sisters of mine surprised me with their genuine and immediate affection toward me, and I hope they realize how appreciative I am and how loved they are too.


What is something Callie Cox has done as Miss Missouri that you would want to emulate?

Where to begin with Miss Callie? She truly is a light. We met once briefly at another local a month before Miss Northeast, and when she saw me again, she remembered my name, my university and asked me how my family and classes were. That's the kind of person you want to root for. I think it is so important for any titleholder, especially on a state level, to be as personable and down to earth as she is. She has such character and integrity, and I want to represent my community in that way. Not everyone may agree with you, but it is titleholder's job to treat everyone with dignity, love and respect.


How did you select your social impact initiative, “The Pink Ribbon Initiative”?

I have a strong connection to breast cancer; my grandmother passed away when I was 11 to the disease and my mom is a survivor. To me, breast cancer is so much more than just wearing pink in October. It's not just about awareness anymore. One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime, and although it's rare, men can get it too. I want The Pink Ribbon Initiative to be a resource for education, encouragement, and opportunity for people affected by breast cancer and empower people to take control of their health, regardless of background, age, gender or class. 


As a talented dancer, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?

I have been dancing since age two, so it may be hard for some to believe that after twenty years the ethereal feeling of being on stage has not gone away, but I would not do it if I did not love it. But the best part of dancing, I think with any art, is that I am entertaining people. Dance makes people feel things and gives them a temporary escape. To know that my performance made an audience just as happy it made me is so fulfilling. 


You’re a dance major at Oklahoma City University. Where do you see that field taking you?

I like to call my dreams for post-grad "the Big Three"; move to New York and work toward Broadway, work for the Disney Company in Orlando, and/or perform on cruise lines. One, three or none of these goals may come to fruition, but with excellent training and big passion, I cannot help feeling like a job in entertainment is waiting for me. My ultimate goal, however, is to one day open my own dance studio. I have always adored children and teaching, and sharing my love of dance with people of all ages and abilities would be full-circle for me. 


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would definitely choose Cinderella. Not only is she my mom's favorite princess, she is the epitome of grace and kindness. Cinderella was loving to everyone no matter how she was treated; she worked hard and with a little faith and magic, made all of her dreams come true. Besides, I would love to dance at a ball in a beautiful blue gown and glass slippers, and I think being friends with talking mice would be fun! Luckily, my job with Enchanted Events allows me to tap into dozens of Disney and Marvel characters, all while bringing smiles to children’s faces.


If you had an extra ticket to a Royals-Cardinals game, who would you take with you? Why?

I would take my big brother Alexander to a Royals-Cardinals game because he is the one who really taught me a love and appreciation for baseball. Plus, he's my best friend! I always love spending time with him, especially now that we're grown up and don't get to see each other as often. I know it would be a great day at Busch Stadium!  


Is there a feature or activity at a Cardinals game that you’d especially like to experience?

Honestly, I think it would be really fun to be really cool to be a member of Team Fredbird, the entertainment and promotional team for the Cardinals. I have lots of experience in cheer and dance for sports, so I think I would do a great job pumping up the crowd on the field as well as connecting with fans in the community. 


---


That would be so much fun!


As usual, I want to thank Marissa for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.


As Marissa continues her time as Miss Northeast, I encourage you to check out her title's Instagram account! It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on! 


I also want to wish Marissa luck when she competes for Miss Missouri! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.


Thanks again Marissa, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week