Thursday, March 7, 2019

Was Mike Mussina Any Good?

I was so disgusted by the announcement of the 2019 baseball Hall of Fame class, that I forgot my regular duties. One of the things I usually do when a player is elected to the Hall of fame, is to see if they were any good in the games I saw them play live. I realized that just because Mike Mussina has no business being in the Hall of Fame, it doesn't mean I should neglect my duties! So, how did he do while I was in the park, and keeping score? I'm glad you asked!


Yeah. Ok. He did really well when I was watching. 

Now, with only four games to work with, his numbers are really skewed by the near-perfecto he pitched while I was there. Those nine innings are a bit of an outlier, since he gave up at least two runs in the other games. But, I can't cherry pick. He was dang good with me in the park.

While a 2.67 ERA isn't exactly Pedro-esque, his 0.79 WHIP is definitely elite. And, a full season projection of 240 strikeouts is pretty good too. 

If only he pitched every game with me there, he may have actually earned his Hall of Fame induction. Instead, we'll have to know that he did have the ability to be great, even if it wasn't all the time.

How did Mike Mussina do while you were in the park?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week