Friday, March 1, 2019

Sylvana Gonzalez visits Section 36


Section 36 has a new visitor! Sylvana Gonzalez is a talented dancer, the current Miss Greater Rockville, and…well…a Yankees
Photo by Steve Smith Photography
fan. I was still very excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. I hope you enjoy what she had to say!

So, lets see what happens when Sylvana Gonzalez visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Greater Rockville title?
It was a whirlwind of emotions coming back as a local titleholder, I celebrated by treating myself to my favorite wing spot in my home town. I then took the night to rest and gel into my new position and leaped into my plans for the year.

What part of the upcoming Miss Connecticut competition are you most nervous about?
Photo by Steve Smith Photography
I no longer get nervous about competing. I have taken advantage of the opportunities my title allows me, so I truly look forward to coming back and building off of my previous goals while working towards new ones. The competition is just a small snippet of a year’s worth of work for a titleholder.

Do you have a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Greater Rockville?
I am an ambassador not only for Children’s Miracle Network Hospital’s, but for the 1Love Foundation. In support of both charities I am honored to work with during my year, I am coordinating the “Love Better” Gala to celebrate our fighters at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, and our silent (or public) survivors of Domestic Violence Awareness. I am putting a lot of energy into making this successful for both organizations, I am looking forward to doing so and representing Greater Rockville on the Miss Connecticut stage this June!

How did you select your platform, “Love Better”?
A loved one of mine became a recent survivor of domestic violence.
Photo by Steve Smith Photography
For a while, I was silent and unsure of ways to coach young women to find their better selves when I myself, was not whole undergoing the abusive conditions. It has been an important chapter of my life I am grateful to have learned from and now being free from the conditions with my loved on, I can move forward in my #LoveBetter Movement. The purpose is to teach men and woman of all ages to understand and accept the behaviors they are equally responsible for putting forth into their relationships as well as receiving. If we can understand the signs and pinpoint the toxic characteristics we ourselves may carry, we can all vow to #LoveBetter, to eliminate the silence in domestic violence.

As a talented dancer, what is your favorite part about performing on stage?
Photo by Steve Smith Photography
My talent is Latin-Jazz and what I love MOST about it, is the way it makes me feel. My late Grandmother Maria is my angel in Heaven as she was to me here on earth. Some of my favorite memories are of us dancing together, so selfishly this area of the competition brings a part of her back to me.

Which Marvel character would you say is most like you?
I would say I am probably most like Bruce Banner when he’s not in his green form (the smart, analytical, precautious doctor) but when I am hungry, I am full blown hulk.

As a Yankees fan, which Yankees player are you most excited about?
I have heard wonderful things about Aaron Judge but for this question I will give my favor to CC Sabathia for his farewell season

Have the Yankees improved themselves enough to catch the Red Sox in 2019?
Although the Red Sox are a popular rival, I certainly would hope
Photo by Steve Smith Photography
they have taken measures to better themselves to catch any team, not just the Sox. We have not had a World Series Championship since 2009, I am hoping any improvements show before we start the next decade.

Did you watch any of the 2018 World Series?
I regret to say I did not, usually if our team is not in the running, we as a family miss the whole occasion. Looking forward to catching it this year! *fingers crossed for my Yankees*

---


I certainly hope she get to watch a few World Series games this year...even if her Yankees aren't playing in them.

As always, I want to give huge thanks to Sylvana for doing this interview. I also really appreciate her providing so many wonderful pictures. Steve Smith did an amazing job with them. I also certainly want to wish her the best of luck as she competes for the Miss Connecticut crown this summer. It would be so much fun to have another former visitor wear that crown.

As Sylvana continues her time as Miss Greater Rockville, I encourage you to follow her on her official Miss Greater Rockville Facebook. It’ll definitely be worth your time! 

Thanks again Sylvana, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week