Monday, March 27, 2023

Madison Matlock Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Madison Matlock is passionate about preventing drunk driving, a businesswoman, and the current Miss DeWitt County. I was so excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Madison Matlock visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss DeWitt County crown?

With Mexican food, of course! Nothing better than going to your local Mexican food restaurant in hair, makeup, and crown.


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss DeWitt County?

My goal is to help MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) Texas meet their fundraising goals this year. As a partner with not only MADD Texas, but the National chapter, I've seen how impactful their programming is. I speak at Victim Impact Panels and I'm training to be a volunteer facilitator for the Power of You(th) program. MADD being integrated into our communities is so important to ending drunk driving, but to do that, we have to have the funds. I've got some fun ideas in the works! You'll see.


What portion of the upcoming Miss Texas competition are you most nervous about?

I wouldn't say I'm nervous, but I'm excited for talent. It's my favorite! Once I get through Talent, I'm good the rest of the week! 


How did you select your CSI “Perfectly Preventable: Drunk Driving Prevention”?

Because I lost my friend, Carly, to an underage, drunk driver. Losing her completely changed my life. I had never lost a peer like that before. After losing her, my eyes were opened to the fact that drunk driving occurs everyday and even worse, people die everyday because of it. Drunk driving, and the deaths associated with the most preventable crime, is a public health issue. It might be weird to say, but I found my passion through speaking about Carly, her life, and what it could have been. No matter if I ever become Miss Texas or not, I plan to be a lifelong volunteer of MADD and continue what I do now. 


You’re a graduate of Texas A&M. Where do you see your studies taking you?

Well, my studies have taken me to lots of places! I graduated with a B.S. in Agricultural Leadership and Development and planned to go to law school. Life happened and I ended up moving back to Texas suddenly. I literally decided one day to pack my car and move to Dallas without a job or apartment. (Crazy, right?) I ended up at Vari (formerly Varidesk) and learned that I have a knack for business. Currently, I'm the Business Development Manager for the DFW market and I'm in the application process for my MBA. I see my studies taking me to the C-Suite one day, hopefully within the Commercial Real Estate industry. There's so much opportunity in Dallas and I want to be a part of it!


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Sleeping Beauty. I would benefit from the rest.


If you had an extra ticket to see a baseball game between the Red Sox and the Astros, who would you take with you? Why?

First of all, Go 'stros (and Royals!). Secondly, I'm bringing my best friend, Rachel. She truly knows how to have fun and to live life to the fullest. I think she could make jury duty fun. I think once you start competing and competing hard, it can be hard for your friends to understand why you're always busy. She's such a huge part of my support system and has always made me feel included, even when she knows I can't go.  I'm so grateful to have her in my life.


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

Is it weird to say the Kiss Cam? I want to be on the Kiss Cam! I'm a hopeless romantic.

Either that or win a lifetime supply of something. I'll take what I can get.


---

The Kiss Cam can be a tricky one!

As always, I want to thank Madison for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Texas! It would be fantastic to have the first Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Madison during her journey as Miss DeWitt County. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account as well as her personal account. They're all wonderful ways to keep track of everything she has going on. Also, please consider visiting and donating at the MADD website. Also, check out the website for Carly's Way to help 
fulfill Carly’s vision for helping unloved animals and to stop intoxicated driving.


Thanks again Madison, and good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week