Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Natalie Demos Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Natalie Demos is passionate about advocating for mental health, a nursing student, and the current Miss River Valley. I was so glad she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Natalie Demos visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss River Valley crown?

I celebrated in so many ways! First though, I hugged my friends/sister queens that came from all over to support me. After crowning I called my family! Unfortunately my family couldn’t make it to see the competition so they were all waiting by the phone. I FaceTimed my parents and my sisters to share the exciting news. However, the biggest call was to my brother who is in the military. I haven’t seen him in almost 2.5 years so I wanted to share this moment with him. Following the competition I celebrated with my friends at dinner and a big sleepover!


What has been the biggest surprise about your time as Miss River Valley?

Personally, it was the announcement of the organization changes for the Miss America Organization. I think when the changes were announced many of us were worried how it would impact state competitions and moving forward. But these changes make me excited for the future of the organization, the more opportunities the organization will be able to provide and the further impact we will make as an organization.


What part of the upcoming Miss Minnesota competition are you most nervous about?

With any big event I think there will always be some jitters but

I’m honestly not nervous. I’ve learned through my journey that there’s a reason I’m here and it’s to make an impact. So with every phase of competition I’m excited to be able to make that impact whether that be through a fellow contestant, a judge or someone in the crowd.


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Let’s Talk About It”?

I’ve been battling Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Depression my whole life. In 2018 I was institutionalized for my mental health and received treatment that saved my life. However growing up, mental health wasn’t spoken about and I wasn’t educated on it. Therefore I went untreated for the first 18 years of my life. When I started competing in this program, I wanted to advocate for something that was something I advocated for without a crown on. I created Let’s Talk About It before I won my first title and it’s a movement that removes the stigma around mental health my starting that conversation. My hope is to provide the education and awareness the mental health community deserves so that others don’t have to get to a life threatening moment before they get their help they need, just like I did.


What is your favorite part about performing your talent on stage?

I grew up in a home built on music where my dad always taught us that music is a way for us to express ourselves, to tell a story. I love every part of performing my talent because I get to put music in the audiences hearts, tell my story and give them a break from reality for a moment. Even if it is only 90 seconds.


You are currently studying nursing at Rasmussen University. What drew you to that field?

Nursing has been my dream for quite sometime but I went through MANY career ideas before taking that leap of faith. I always have had a passion for serving others. As a child going to the doctor, and even into adulthood, I always felt more comfortable with the nurses that treated me. They made me feel seen and I want to be that for someone else. My ultimate goal is to obtain my Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP) so I can become a certified nurse practitioner to treat patients and leave that impact on a provider level.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

The goofy side kicks/supporting characters have always been

my favorite in Disney movies. My favorite goofy supporting character is Timon from the Lion King so I would probably be him! Plus, who wouldn’t want to be besties with Pumba?


If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play the Twins, who would you take with you? Why?

I would give my ticket to my mom and the extra ticket to my dad! Growing up my parents always worked and we unfortunately didn’t have the funds to go on family vacations or big events like an MLB game. So I would give them the tickets so they could experience that together like a day date for them! 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

It would be SO cool to throw the first pitch or even catch a ball! Or even sing the national anthem! Any opportunity would just be such a joy!


---

I hope she gets that opportunity! 

As always, I want to thank Natalie for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Minnesota! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Natalie during her journey as Miss River Valley. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account as well as the one for Let's Talk About It. You can also follow her personal Instagram account. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on. 


Thanks again Natalie, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week