Friday, March 31, 2023

Gabrielle Griffiths Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Gabrielle Griffiths is passionate sharing stories, a talented singer, and the current Miss Worcester County. I was thrilled she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Gabrielle Griffiths visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Worcester County crown?

The days leading up to the competition are often filled with lots of preparation and anticipation and the day of the competition itself requires lots of energy, mental preparation and stamina. Having said that, I celebrated my win with a nice long nap :) 


What portion of the upcoming Miss Massachusetts competition are you most nervous about?

I really love interview. It’s the one opportunity to speak with the judges, to express my mission and for them to get to know me and who I represent.  You prepare for the Miss Massachusetts competition with months of hard work and practice, yet there are only 9 precious minutes in the interview to get it right. So that can feel like a lot of pressure at times. 


What is something that Katrina Kincade is doing as Miss Massachusetts that you would want to emulate?

I look up to Katrina in so many ways so it's hard to pick just one! Her goals of sharing stories of representation is incredibly inspiring to me and aligns with my community service initiative of “Changing the World One Story at a Time”. Using video production, I hope to continue to share stories of people who are underrepresented and need a voice. 


How did you select your community service initiative, “Changing the World One Story at a Time”?

I have been doing acts of service my whole life. Throughout that journey and my job as the Director of Media at the Kindness Collaborative, I’ve had the opportunity to meet so many people who are doing incredible things for their community. I would always leave events wondering why these people had such little exposure. I felt a burning desire to get the word out and share the stories of the people who are making an impact. I found that I could promote them perfectly through video productions. Also when I scroll through my timeline, I notice mostly negative news stories with no solutions. It's become clear to me that we need a platform where the underrepresented can share optimistic stories on social issues we are experiencing now with real resources and ways to help. 


What do you enjoy most about performing your talent on stage?

I feel the most connected to source when I am performing in front of others. I grew up on stage singing, dancing and acting, and went to school to minor in theater. Through the pandemic all of that stopped for me. There were not many opportunities to perform anymore and I felt a huge part of me was missing. I love that the Miss America organization gives me the chance to perform and feel whole again. 


You graduated Merrimack College with a degree in Communications and Media Studies. Where do you see that field taking you?

I started off freshman year 18 years old with no plan or direction of where I wanted to go, so I went in undecided. Shortly after, I was lucky enough to have my first experience on a real Hollywood film set. After that, I knew it was exactly where I wanted to be.  I declared my major in Communications the very next day.  I see myself working on video productions either in front or behind the camera with the mission of helping others throughout my life.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would have to pick Belle. Growing up she was always my favorite Disney princess for her love of stories and bravery to be herself and not conform to the societal norms. Additionally she was the first Disney princess to selflessly save others around her: her father, the people in the castle and the beast. 


If you had an extra ticket to see a WooSox game, who would you take with you? Why?

I would take my dad because he used to take me Red Sox games when I was a kid. I have so many fond memories of going into Boston and singing along to sweet Caroline. I’d love to repay the memories and make new ones with my Dad. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I’ve always wanted to sing the National Anthem! If I had a better arm I’d also say to throw the ceremonial first pitch… but I think I’ll just stick my strengths of singing.


---

I'm pretty sure lots of first pitches have shown very little aim!

As always, I want to thank Gabrielle for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Massachusetts! It would be fantastic to have yet another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Gabrielle during her journey as Miss Worcester County. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account as well as her personal account. They're all wonderful ways to keep track of everything she has going on. 


Thanks again Gabrielle, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week