Sunday, September 23, 2012

Collecting the Sox: Mini Helmets


So, I have another collecting dilemma. Like many people, I enjoy ice cream. I enjoy it even more when it’s served in a collectable Red Sox mini helmet. Really, who wouldn’t? So, when I get a chance I like to get myself a little Red Sox sundae. Of course, I always save the collectable helmet when I’m done. But, here’s the problem. What exactly do I do with all these helmets?

The helmets themselves are great. They look nice on a shelf. They’re small enough that they don’t take up a lot of space in the collection…on their own. Some of them come in different styles. In 1999, for instance, the ones from Fenway had the All-Star game logo on the front. So, there’s even some variety to the collection. I like that. Plus, there’s a definite tie-in to the Red Sox. Players wear helmets or hats during the game. Somehow that makes them a more authentic collectable than, say, a box of cereal or a pencil. This is a baseball item.

But, over the years, I’ve picked up a small pile of these helmets. I’m guessing I probably have 20-25 of them at the moment. They are currently stacked inside each other in a single stack. That is definitely not optimizing their display capabilities.

But, how would they be optimized?

I could stack them in a pyramid. That might add some visual interest, but isn’t really all that clever. I could scatter them all over the place, so everywhere you turn, you’d be looking at a helmet. That might get a little creepy! When I was lamenting about my stack of souvenir cups, I tossed out the idea of building a coffee table out of the cups. Maybe I could use the helmets to ring the top of a cup table? I could hang them from the ceiling in a giant helmet mobile. I could glue them to a shirt to make a mini-helmet suit of armor. There are so many options.

What’re some other ideas?

11 comments:

  1. Love me some sundae mini helmets! But 20 to 25? Wow... that's a lot. If it were me, I'd display one of each variety. The extras I'd probably give out to my students... or get them autographed.

    Whatever you do... make sure to blog about it. Would love to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started getting Cubs ones signed. Here's a post I did back in April.

    http://onceacub.blogspot.com/2012/04/ice-cream-helmets.html

    The plan is to eventually hang them around the mancave. They'll fit great between the windows & ceiling and above the doorway. Those areas are too small for a panaoramic which was the original idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the autograph idea. I usually get baseballs, but the helmets would be a nice item for doubles, or lower level sigs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The helmets are definitely doubles or triples of signatures I already have. And I would consider those players at least mid-level as they have all earned some kind of award/distinction while with the team (GG, ROY, All-Star etc). And I don't think I have paid more than $10 for any of them and some were free.

    And a silver sharpie or paint pen would really pop on those darker Sox helmets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The world's #1 marketplace for logo design, web design, and crowdsourced writing projects. Over 28,000 satisfied clients! - crowdSPRING"

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the parliaments first order of business, on 13 February 2008, Rudd read an apology directed to Indigenous Australians for the stolen generations.The apology, for the policies of successive parliaments and governments, passed unanimously as a motion by both houses of parliament.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new artist. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How to get in front of the most significant (and most powerful) business trend, Mobile Marketing, that is certain to make Traditional Website Marketing look like small potatoes and guaranteed to create massive wealth for those who are early and in-the-know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The First Search Engine Marketing Company in Bangladesh. Providing Global Data Entry Jobs and Training. Also a worldwide ads publisher company in Bangladesh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are many members who are already working in Refresh Online Center. Everyday Many Persons come to Our Office for becoming a member. Some of them are prepared to do our jobs and some of them are not suitable to do the job properly. For all of those persons we have arranged a training programs called Global Data Entry Training. In this programs, we present almost 6 package programs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As the parliaments first order of business, on 13 February 2008, Rudd read an apology directed to Indigenous Australians for the stolen generations.The apology, for the policies of successive parliaments and governments, passed unanimously as a motion by both houses of parliament.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week