Friday, April 21, 2023

Angela Luna Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Angela Luna is passionate about school safety, a television news anchor, and preparing to compete for Miss Maine. I was thrilled she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Angela Luna visits Section 36!

What made you decide to compete for the Miss Maine crown?

As soon as I saw that Miss America raised the age, I instantly reached out to the Miss Maine board to compete. It’s been my dream since I was a little girl to go to Miss America and represent my state and I’m on cloud nine about having one more shot. I have fallen in love with Maine and the community and it would be an honor to serve Mainers at the national level.


As a prior local titleholder in Missouri, do you think that experience will help you at the Miss Maine competition?

Of course! All the lessons and preparation I received from theMiss Missouri board and my local directors not only has prepared me for the Miss Maine crown but has also led me to achieve my childhood dream of becoming a Morning News Anchor. Besides telling Mainers stories, I’ve been able to immerse myself in the community by volunteering, networking, and fostering lifelog friendships here in Maine.


What is something Madison Leslie is doing as Miss Maine that you would want to emulate?

Madison’s authenticity truly shines inside and out. I love how
open and honest she has been as Miss Maine plus keeping up with Maine traditions as a titleholder. I know I’ll have big heels to fill, but I plan to continue the behind the scenes life as Miss Maine while staying true to myself. I hope to make the phenomenal women before me proud.


How did you select your community service initiative?

Five years ago, I had to make the nerve wrecking call to my parents in Florida to make sure my sister Jordan was alive during the school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL. Jordan lost her friend and teammate Alyssa Alhadeff that day. I knew I wanted to join the school safety movement to empower students and educators to understand the importance of school safety procedures. WithMake Our Schools Safe, I’ve been able to meet with the Maine Department of Education and the Maine School Safety Center to make sure safety procedures are evolving throughout

our state. One of my main goals as Miss Maine is to pass Alyssa’ Law, which would require public schools in Maine to install silent panic alarms to reduce law enforcement response times in an emergency situation. Bangor Public Schools are the first district in all New England to enact silent panic alarms and I want to continue to expand them statewide.


You are currently working as a morning news anchor at WABI TV5. What do you enjoy about that experience?

We are a big family at WABI! To me, it truly doesn’t feel like work sometimes especially when we have fun segments during the morning show. I always joke that I’m Maine’s sunshine with their morning coffee!


You’ve also worked the sideline at UMaine football games. What drew you to that path?

I grew up as a dance competition kid and the daughter of a football coach which led to my love of sports. I was a Weekend Sports Anchor at Heart of Illinois ABC in Peoria, IL before WABI so I wanted to continue covering sports on the side. Our evening anchor Brittany McHatten referred me to UMaine athletics and the rest was history!


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I am Olaf to a T. We are both ENFP’s and enneagram 7w6’s who are animated, quirky and fun! I relate to Olaf the most, especially how he wants to experience everything the world has to offer. Plus, navigating through Maine winters makes me dream of summer!


If you had an extra ticket to see a baseball game between the Portland Sea Dogs and the NH Fisher Cats, who would you take with you? Why?

I would bring my good friend Allegra Zamore. We instantly became close friends at WABI and love the Sea Dogs! I also want to catch the “Maine Clambakes” game as well.


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

It would be epic to throw out the first pitch at a Boston Red Sox game as Miss Maine on Maine Day!


---

"Epic" would be just the beginning!

As always, I want to thank Angela for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Maine! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Angela during her journey. You should be sure to check out her Instagram account.It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on. 


Thanks again Angela, and good luck!   


No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week