Friday, April 28, 2023

Madison Baker Visits Section 36!

Photo Stephanie Carine
Section 36 had another visitor! 
Madison Baker is passionate about sports accessibility, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Grapevine. I was thrilled she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Madison Baker visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Grapevine crown?

I actually won Miss Grapevine while I was in the middle of moving into a new apartment, so the day after I won my mom and I were busy moving and unpacking boxes! We did celebrate though with my directors and fellow sister-queens right after the pageant. They have truly become such an incredible family to me this year!


What has been the most pleasant surprise about your time as Miss Grapevine?

How incredibly special the community of Grapevine is. Grapevine is the Christmas Capital of Texas, and seeing the town come alive during the holiday season was so special! I also got the opportunity to take a historical food tour of downtown Grapevine and was surprised to learn the diverse history of the town. From its beginnings as a settlement town, to the expansion of the railroad, followed by a brief period as the "Cantaloupe Capital of the World," and today being known for Dallas-Fort Worth Airport; the history of Grapevine is amazing!


What part of the upcoming Miss Texas competition are you most nervous about?

Stephanie Carine
Talent. Even though I've been a dancer most of my life, I still get pre-performance nerves!


How did you select your community service initiative, “Athletics for All”?

As a kid I tried almost every sport available. I played soccer, basketball, volleyball, golf, and gymnastics before I finally found my love of dance. It was as I got older that I realized a lot of children come from a socioeconomic background that allows them to try that many sports, let alone play at all. Athletics for All is my 501(3) that is dedicated to leveling the "paying" field in sports. Allowing all children, regardless of socioeconomic status, to play sports through equipment donations, sponsorships, and education about the necessity of athletics.


You are studying strategic communications at TCU. Where do you see that field taking you?

I would love to work in public relations and influencer management, helping to connect consumers to the people, products, and places that they love.


You had the opportunity to study in Europe for six months. What was that experience like?

Studying abroad was completely out of my comfort zone, but I love to travel so I decided to give it a shot. When I first got there I was so overwhelmed and experiencing such bad jet lag that I immediately wanted to come, but my parents told me to stick it out for at least two weeks. Two weeks I was having the time of my life! Aside from the incredible trips, great food, and new friends I made, Italy also taught me how to push through hard times. It taught me that sometimes all you need is an adjustment period. Studying abroad was one of the highlights of my college experience! 


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Based solely on her ability to breathe underwater AND talk to animals, I would say Ariel for sure. Having the same hair color is a plus too! 


If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play the Rangers, who would you take with you? Why?

I would take my little sister Lauren! We have a really close relationship as sisters, and as friends, and I would love to spend that time with her. She started her freshman year of college this year so I don't get to see her as often. A visit to Texas to watch a Rangers game would be the perfect excuse for her to visit. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I would love to participate in an on field competition. Even though I can be super clumsy, I feel like I would be strangely good at a game like dizzy bat! 


---


I wonder how I would do at dizzy bat.

As always, I want to thank Madison for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Texas! It would be fantastic to have the first Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Madison during her journey. You should be sure to check out her Instagram account, as well as the one for her local organization. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on, and you'll be sure not to miss anything.


Thanks again Madison, and good luck!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week