Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Violet Joy Hansen Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Violet Joy Hansen is a proponent of American Sign Language, a talented singer, and the current Miss Freetown. I was thrilled she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.
 
So, let's see what happens when Violet Joy Hansen visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Freetown crown?

I celebrated right after I won with some of my favorite people, who also came to support me. After that, I hopped on the commuter rail for a train ride home and packed my backpack for another week as a grad student. 


What is something you learned about yourself at the Miss Freetown that will help you compete at Miss Massachusetts?

I learned that I don’t need to TRY super hard in interview. I need to be myself and let my resume speak for itself. 


What is something Katrina Kincade is doing as Miss Massachusetts that you would want to emulate?

I appreciate how down to earth Katrina is. She knew almost everyone that walked in the door, because she has taken the time to get to know everyone. 


How did you select your community service initiative, “ASL for All” ?

When I decided to compete as a Miss, I knew immediately that I wanted my platform to be something having to do with American Sign Language. So I began to brainstorm what I could do to help the deaf community and one of the main issues I saw, was the fact that first responders aren’t able to communicate with the deaf community in emergency situations. Which is why, I started Bill 1196 with Senator William Brownsberger that will require all first responders to learn basic ASL. 


You are currently attending Boston Conservatory at Berklee. Where do you see your studies taking you?

I am a first year graduate student, studying for my MFA in Musical Theatre Pedagogy. When I graduate from this program I plan on applying for DMA (Doctorate of Musical Arts) degrees, and applying for professorship positions and see what sticks. 


As a talented singer, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?

I love being able to take on a character that is larger than life, and breaking the fourth wall to interact with the audience. Seeing the enjoyment of the audience makes me lean into the drama of the character even more. 


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

My favorite Disney princess is Aurora, because who doesn’t want a magical, color changing dress?! However if I was to be here for a week, I would take full advantage of being able to talk to animals. I have a pet hedgehog named Honey, and I want to know what she would have to say. 


If you had an extra ticket to see a Red Sox game at Fenway, who would you take with you? Why?

I would take my cohort member, roommate, and now sister title holder, Natalie Ehrensbeck who is Miss Blackstone Valley 2023. Being able to walk around with her, meeting Bostonians would be a blast 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I would love to sing the National Anthem at a Red Sox game!


---

That would certainly be a wonderful experience!

As always, I want to thank Violet for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Massachusetts! It would be fantastic to have yet another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Violet during her journey as Miss Freetown. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on. 


Thanks again Violet, and good luck!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week