Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happy 36th Doug Mientkiewicz

M-I-E-N-T-K-I-E-W-I-C-Z.

I spent three months of 2004 repeating that over and over to myself. When the Red Sox acquired Doug Mientkiewicz in that ill-advised deadline deal, I knew the least I could do was learn how to spell his name. I also knew that I would have to write a little bit smaller than I was used to when I filled out my scorecard.

M-I-E-N-T-K-I-E-W-I-C-Z.

The Sox acquired Mientkiewicz along with Orlando Cabrera in exchange for Nomar Garciaparra. Theo’s explanation was that the team’s defense was a flaw that he didn’t want to turn fatal. That was a clever line. I didn’t buy it then, and I don’t buy it now. But, that’s been discussed enough. What the Sox got in Mientkiewicz was a fantastic defensive first baseman. He could be brought in late in games, and the Sox knew the defense at first was set.

M-I-E-N-T-K-I-E-W-I-C-Z.

As such, he was on the field at the end of many games of the 2004 season, including the historic postseason. He was the player who caught Keith Foulke’s underhand toss to end the 86-year championship drought. He was also in a little bit of media-created controversy when the Sox indicated that they’d like that ball back. But, Doug had done his job. He had secured the out that Red Sox waited so long for. Because of that, he will forever have a place in Red Sox history.

M-I-E-N-T-K-I-E-W-I-C-Z.

After the 2004 season, Mientkiewicz left the Sox and hitched on with a few more teams. But, he’ll always be pictured with his arms in the air, celebrating the long awaited World Championship.

Happy 36th Birthday Doug Mientkiewicz!

2 comments:

  1. Theo’s explanation was that the team’s defense was a flaw that he didn’t want to turn fatal.

    Ah yes, the "fatal flaw" explanation... and of course a synonym for fatal flaw is "Achilles heel"... which of course was Nomar's injury that the media tried to portray as made up. I was so mad at Theo in that press conference. I was practically screaming at the TV. "Say it! Say Achilles heel!"

    Love the way the season turned out, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't rememebr if I made the comment here or at "The Phillies Room" but, I heard during the Sox-Phillies series earlier that when Jimmy Rollins blew out his achilles, he thought he was hit by a ball. But, he wasn't. That's just what blowing an achilles feels like. I rememebred that's what Nomar had said. He claimed he was hit by a ball, but nobody could remember a ball hitting him. Funny that nobody claimed Jimmy Rollins was faking the injury.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week