Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Hannah Utic Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Hannah Utic is passionate about political involvement, a talented singer, and the current Miss Alaska. I was so excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Hannah Utic visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Alaska crown?

My mom best friend, who was Miss Alaska 1993 and helped me get ready for Miss Alaska, and I had a deal that the day after the pageant, win or lose, we were going to celebrate with donuts—so that’s what we did! The morning after, we went out for hot cocoa and donuts and it was great. We also had a bet going: her and I always get our nails done together, so we had a deal that if I lost, I had to get my nails painted yellow (I despise the color yellow for nails) but if I won, then I got to pick her nail color (she’s very picky). So I had an absolutely fantastic time picking out this completely great nail color for her that she would have refused to wear otherwise.


What is something Jessica Reisinger did as Miss Alaska that you would like to emulate?

Jessica made the absolute best of friends with her fellow state titleholders, and I cannot wait to hopefully also meet lifelong friends at Miss America.


What part of the upcoming Miss America competition are you most nervous about?

I honestly am not very nervous, I am just excited to go represent my state and have the time of my life! If I had to name one thing though, I am not a dancer whatsoever, so all the choreography we will have to learn should be interesting for me.


How did you select your Community Service Initiative, “Civic Involvement through Informed Voting”? 

I have always been very interested in political processes, even as a child, which is what led me to pursue a political science degree. Throughout my time in school, I began to notice more and more the lack of interest that people, especially my generation, have in being involved in our government, even within the local community. One of my favorite quotes is, “Because we live in the land of the free and the home of the brave, we have been given so much. Therefore I believe we have much to give in return.” It is not only our right but actually our duty as American citizens to be involved civically in our society, so my CSI is really a reflection of my hope to promote this message.


What do you enjoy most about performing your talent on stage?

I am not someone who craves the spotlight, so performing solo on stage is definitely not something that greatly appeals to me. However, I had spent so much time practicing my song “I Will Survive,” that when it came time to perform, I just had so much fun getting to walk out and play in the most sparkly hot pink dress I’ve ever seen and finally get to see the fruit of all my hard work pay off.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I think I would want to be Remy from Ratatouille because he gets to hang out in France and eat incredible food.


You recently graduated with a degree in political science. Where do you see those studies taking you?

A lot of people who have political science degrees tend to purse law or major political careers. However, for me, I plan to use this basis of education to help me be able to work on solutions to issues in my local and state communities.


If you had an extra ticket to see an Alaska Baseball League game, who would you take with you? Why?

I would definitely have to take my youngest brother Ian, because he is an absolute baseball fanatic and he would never forgive me if I didn’t bring him along.


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I’m not very knowledgeable about anything sports related, however I have been to a few Seattle Mariners games and my favorite part is always the funny things they show on the big screen in between innings. I do think it would be a ton of fun to throw the opening pitch at a game.


---

A first pitch does sound like fun!

As always, I want to thank Hannah for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss America! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Hannah during her journey. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account and website
They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on, and you'll be sure not to miss anything. 


Thanks again Hannah, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week