Friday, July 28, 2023

Lila Szyryj Visits Section 36!

Magic Dreams Productions
Section 36 had another visitor! 
Lila Szyryj is passionate about the news, an associate producer, and the current Miss Wisconsin. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Lila Szyryj visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Wisconsin crown?

One of the first things I remember saying after the commotion of crowning was, ‘where’s my family?’ All I wanted to do was to spend time with them. My idea of celebrating meant spending time with the people who had helped me get to this point in the first place. Naturally, we ordered a pizza and stayed up all night chatting. It was exactly what I needed after a week of competition. 


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Wisconsin?

Education. Not only do I hope every person learns something new in every conversation they have with me, I would like to implement journalism education into elementary and secondary education. Our children are lacking media education and it’s time to empower them with knowledge. 


What part of the upcoming Miss America competition are you most nervous about?

I wouldn’t say I’m nervous about anything –  I think the word would be excited. Competing at Miss America has been a goal long in the making so I’m eager and excited to have that opportunity. As a competitor, you never truly know if you’ll get this opportunity until it happens. I’m setting any nerves aside to take it all in and enjoy it. 


How did you select your Community Service Initiative, “Breaking Down Breaking News”?

My mother immigrated to the United States when she was nearly 30, leaving her entire family and friends behind to build the life she wanted. She left a home that doesn’t offer freedom of speech, public libraries, or even Google search. Watching local news was her way of learning and integrating into her new life and culture. Studying and becoming a journalist is an ode to my mother and my way of serving my community.


As a talented pianist, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?

Music is a universal language. Playing for an audience means everyone can feel what I’m feeling in a shared moment. It’s a different level of relating to someone – something that may even be difficult to share with words can be spoken through music. 


What is your personal fitness routine?

I used to be big into cardio until I was introduced to the importance of weight-lifting. I even talked with one of the girls backstage of how any body can start and feel the benefits of lifting. My routine involves a combination of both! 


You graduated last year with a degree in journalism. Where do you see that field taking you?

Right now, I continue my work at NBC15 in Madison as an Associate Producer. I look forward to working my way on air after my year as Miss Wisconsin, and even one day working as a national news correspondent. 


If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play the Brewers, who would you take with you? Why?

My mom! She’s never been to a professional sports game and what a treat it would be to take her! Growing up, she was a pretty big sports fan, so getting to spend time at a game with her would be awesome. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I’ve always wanted to throw the first pitch at a baseball game and was actually able to do just that at the Timber Rattlers game recently. Now that that’s crossed off my bucket list, maybe my next goal will be the first pitch at an MLB game! 


---

Hope she gets that opportunity!

As always, I want to thank Lila for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss America! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Lila during her journey. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account and website
They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on, and you'll be sure not to miss anything. 


Thanks again Lila, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week