Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Sunny Day Visits Section 36!

Photo: Austin Ryde
Section 36 had another visitor! 
Sunny Day is passionate about social emotional education, a talented singer, and the current Miss Oklahoma. I was so excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Sunny Day visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Oklahoma crown?

The first night through the first week was busy, full of meetings and media appearances. It wasn't until I came home from Tulsa after that first week until it hit me and I celebrated with a big nap! However, the morning after I won, I invited my entire family into my hotel room to celebrate - I ordered a giant breakfast from room service and ate enough pancakes to last me for a lifetime!


What did you learn about yourself at the Miss Oklahoma Competition that will help you at Miss America?

I have been competing in pageants for over ten years and each and every year, I took it too seriously. I wasn't relaxed and never allowed myself to socialize. With this being my final pageant, due to the age limitation, I wanted more than anything to be present, I wanted to make friends and most importantly, I wanted to be unauthentically myself. Who would have known by simply being yourself and being present in each moment of the week, you could be led to success. I think because of my life experience and the way I went into Miss Oklahoma week had prepared me to go into Miss America with a good mindset.


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Oklahoma?

Austin Ryde
My biggest and most important goal that I hope to accomplish in my year as Miss Oklahoma is to speak to, to engage with, to mentor, and inspire as many children in Oklahoma as possible. As a big sister and educator, my strength lies in connecting with our youth. I want to share my story and encourage other children, no matter where they come from, to chase their dreams.


How did you select your community Service Initiative, “Ready S.E.T. Go”?

Ready S.E.T. Go is a concept and social, emotional education approach I established the first year I stepped foot in the classroom. As a little girl growing up in poverty and seeing first hand loved ones battle either homelessness or substance abuse, I had a lot of trauma that I was enduring, but had no way of knowing how to work through it or control my emotions in the process. My upbringing and my experience in the classroom the past five years has shown the significant correlation between childhood trauma and one's academic and life success. It is my goal to assist students in breaking those cycles and learning character development skills to guide them in life. 


As a talented singer, what do you enjoy about performing on stage?

I love getting to be a different version of myself and really play the role of the character in which I am performing.


What is your personal fitness routine?

I love pilates! It is the perfect way to invest in and connect with your mind and body simultaneously.


You currently work as a fifth grade teacher. What do you enjoy about that field?

I love connecting with children who come from all walks of life. Most importantly, I enjoy making learning fun. I use a lot of hands-on and engaging activities in my classroom that allow the students to express themselves creatively while obtaining appropriate knowledge. My classroom is a safe and inclusive place for all, I often tell my student's about my own personal story and upbringing in hopes to inspire them to break cycles within their own lives. 


If you had an extra ticket to an Oklahoma City Dodgers baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

I would definitely take my dad! My dad will do anything and everything possible and knows how to make everything an enjoyable experience.


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I would LOVE to perform the National Anthem at an Oklahoma City Dodgers game. That's something I have wanted to do since I was a little girl!


---

I hope she can make that happen!

As always, I want to thank Sunny for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss America! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Sunny during her journey. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account and website. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on, and you'll be sure not to miss anything. 


Thanks again Sunny, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week