Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Kaili Yuen Visits Section 36!

Hiki Photography
Section 36 had another visitor! Kaili Yuen is passionate about fitness, an elementary school teacher, and the current Miss Aloha Hawai'i. I was so thrilled that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Kaili Yuen visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Aloha Hawai’i crown?

I celebrated winning the Miss Aloha Hawaiʻi 2023 crown by meeting up with one of my pageant sisters immediately after the competition. I actually went to deliver one of her awards to her, as she forgot to take it home from the Aloha Theatre, which was the location of our competition. We discussed everything that happened during that night and the week of the competition. I also received a phone call from my pageant sister, Miss Kona Coffee 2023, Shyla Victor and we talked about our upcoming week filled with events! I love the sisterhood of the Miss Kona Coffee Organization and how the organization brings women together.


What has been the most pleasant surprise about your time as Miss Aloha Hawai’i ?

The most pleasant surprise about my time as Miss Aloha Hawaiʻi has been the support from my community and the countless opportunities that have come to me. Throughout my journey to be Miss Aloha Hawaiʻi and also leading up to the Miss Hawaiʻi Competition, I have had lots of support from my family, friends, sponsors, and members of my Hawaiʻi Island Community. I am so grateful for each and every person that has supported my journey. In addition, I have had many opportunities to serve the community, to work with organizations, to promote my community service initiative, and to model for local brands, which is something that is very new to me! 


What is your favorite memory from the recent Miss Hawaii competition?

Hiki Photography
My favorite memory from the Miss Hawaiʻi Competition was spending time with my pageant sisters at rehearsals throughout the week leading up to the competition. I was excited going into rehearsals because our first half of rehearsals was held at 24-7 Danceforce. Since a young age, it has always been a dream for me to dance at their studio, as they are known for producing some of the best dancers in Hawaiʻi. I also loved having the opportunity to practice and perform with my pageant sisters at the historic Hawaiʻi Theatre. I had never been inside the theatre before, but I got chills after walking in for our first rehearsal and seeing how big, beautiful and historic the theatre was!


How did you select your community service initiative, “Make Your Move Hawaiʻi” ?

Fitness, sports, and dance has always been a significant part of my life, therefore, I knew I wanted my community service initiative to be focused on movement. Since creating my initiative, it has evolved from focusing on only physical fitness, into focusing on living a healthy lifestyle overall. I have noticed three main things in my life that are important for living a healthy lifestyle that I want to share with others, including prioritizing physical fitness, eating healthy foods, and volunteering. In Hawaiʻi, approximately one third of our hospital patients are obese, and one way we can reduce those numbers is by encouraging people to get involved in fitness activities and help them try new programs that they enjoy. Physical fitness can look different for everyone and that's a good thing! For example, I enjoy playing pickleball at Hōlua Racquet and Paddle, going to the gym and doing Buddhi at Science Lab Hawaiʻi and Pacific Island Fitness, dancing hula with Kamakani O Ka Moku ʻĀina Performing Arts Academy, dancing ballet at Kona Dance and Performing Arts, and trying different types of activities to stay moving. I believe that when you find an activity you enjoy, you won't dread working out and sometimes you wonʻt even notice that you're working out. I have had the opportunity to promote many local fitness, sports, dance, movement, health, and wellness programs in my hometown.


You graduated from the University of Hawai’i with a degree in communications. Where do you see that field taking you?

Hiki Photography
Although I graduated with my B.A. Degree in Communications, I currently work as a K-1 Teacher at an elementary school in Kona. On Hawaiʻi Island it is difficult to find high-paying job opportunities that are not remote. During the COVID-19 pandemic I learned that I do better mentally and physically if I work at an in-person job, compared to working remotely; therefore, I decided that it would be best for me to make an impact on our younger generation, who is the future of my island. 

Although I currently donʻt use my degree for my job, I have found several volunteer opportunities to manage social media pages and design websites for local brands and organizations. I want to use the knowledge that I learned in school, to better local companies that I support and am passionate about.


As a frequent traveler, what’s your favorite place you’ve visited?

As a frequent traveler, my favorite place that I have visited is Vietnam. My best friend from high school is from Vietnam and I have gone to visit her twice. I love Vietnam because they have beautiful mountains, beautiful beaches, and the best food! I had never realized how many different types of Vietnamese foods there were until I went there. My friends and I would eat all day, every day! I also love the French influence that is on Vietnamense culture and that it is in Southeast Asia, which is one of my favorite places to visit.


What is your personal fitness routine?

My personal fitness routine changes frequently throughout the year, depending on what I am doing or training for. Throughout the entire year I dance hula once a week, so that is always a part of my fitness routine. If I am preparing for a pageant I spend at least 3-4 days per week in the gym doing an hour workout followed by at least 30 minutes of cardio (usually running). I start physical training about 12 weeks prior to a pageant. The first six weeks are usually focused on gaining muscle and the next six weeks are focused on shredding excess weight to help get the look that I desire for the pageant. My personal trainer Leann Green from Science Lab Hawaiʻi helps keep me accountable with my workouts and nutrition plan. 


This summer I trained for a pickleball tournament, so I was playing pickleball three days per week, while I usually play once or twice a week during the rest of the year. My partner and I did well in the tournament and won the 3.0 division in the Fil-Am Hawaiʻi Charity Event Pickleball Tournament. In addition, if I have time during the week I'll sign up for a workout class. I love doing Buddhi, which is a mixture of dance, stretching, yoga, zumba, and a HIIT workout. I have also tried different workout classes in the community at the park or at different gyms. Depending on the season, I will sign up for a dance class as well, usually ballet, contemporary, or dance conditioning.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Hiki Photography
If I could be a Disney character for a week I would choose Mulan. She has always been a character I relate closely to because she is unlike anyone in her family. I think it is so cool that she can talk to Mushu, who is her dragon. She also comes from China, which is where my father's family originates from and I think it would be incredible to go back in time to ancient China to see how my ancestors lived. When I was in fourth grade my class did Mulan Jr. for our school play and I had my first solo role as the cheongsam lady, which was very fitting since my grandma bought me many cheongsams to wear for special occasions. The role was a huge deal for me because I was a shy kid and although I only had one line, I memorized the entire play and always knew I wanted to be Mulan. (Fun fact: the girl who played Mulan in the play was Miss Aloha Hawai'i 2022, Katiana Amafala-Marquard)


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

One activity that I would like to see at a baseball game is watching an Olympic gymnast throw the first pitch. I think that would be such a special moment to watch since gymnastics is my favorite sport, and since most gymnasts have no baseball experience! I also would love to participate in a baseball game. When I visited Japan I had the opportunity to learn some baseball and practice baseball with a Japanese high school team, which was so fun!


---

That sounds like a fun experience!

As always, I want to thank Kaili for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Kaili during the rest of her journey. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account and website
It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on, and you'll be sure not to miss anything. 


Thanks again Kaili!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week