Friday, August 4, 2023

Emma Anderson Visits Section 36!

Photo: Jonathan Adams
Section 36 had another visitor! 
Emma Anderson is passionate about access to menstrual products, a dancer, and the current Miss Champlain Valley. I was so excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Emma Anderson visits Section 36!

What made you decide to try for the Miss Vermont crown?

I decided to start competing for Miss Vermont, A lot earlier than I had originally planned I might add, because I genuinely missed pushing myself in the way that competing forces you too. As a Sophomore in College, it was definitely very daunting to try and set aside so much time to prepare for competition but it was so worth it. I ended up being able to involve my studies and some of my professors in my preparations which helped a lot! 


What has been the biggest surprise about your first “Miss” title, Miss Champlain Valley?

I think the biggest surprise that came with being Miss Champlain Valley was how different being a “Miss” is from a “Teen”. Once upon a time I held the title of Miss Champlain Valley’s Outstanding Teen and eventually Miss Vermont’s Outstanding Teen. As a teen in this organization so much emphasis is put on leaning on your “older sisters” (ie the Misses) to help push you. I loved being able to be that older sister for our teens this year and create some amazing relationships with some really impressive young women! 


You were Miss Vermont’s Outstanding Teen in 2021. What is your favorite memory from that experience?

I think my favorite memory from my year as Miss Vermont’s Outstanding Teen would have to be attending both my own national competition and the 100th year of Miss America!! One of my all time favorite pictures from my year was taken immediately after MAOTeen finals when my Miss Vermont, Danielle Morse found me on the edge of the stage and we just had an amazing little moment. At Miss America, although we only had one night of visitation, it was amazing to have a similar experience but celebrating her instead! 


How did you select your community service initiative, “Not A Luxury”?

I picked my CSI “Not A Luxury: Increasing Access To Menstrual Products” during the COVID Pandemic. The pandemic made it really obvious to me that there were many essential items that were being overlooked by food stamps programs and food pantries around not only my state but the county. Prior to competing for the first time I donated 5,500 menstrual products to a local shelter called Spectrum. Honestly, the rest is history!


As a talented dancer, what is your favorite part about performing your talent on stage?

My favorite part of performing my talent is always the little sections that honestly have nothing to do with actually dancing but more connecting with the audience and the judges. This past competition, I loved building in little moments for connection throughout my choreography, it really helps me feel more at ease while performing but I know that it also helps keep the energy up throughout my entire piece as well! 


You are currently studying History and Equity Studies at Saint Michael’s College. What drew you to that field?

I was drawn to my majors of History and Equity Studies for two reasons. History is just something I have always loved learning about, and I knew that I wanted to expand my understanding of how history continues to impact us everyday. Equity Studies I actually just added at the end of last year because I really wanted to focus on in this overlooked area of study. To put it simply, we study how and why inequality exists in the world. Inequality is something that I’ve come face to face with more since creating my CSI so I wanted to expand my understanding to better serve in my state in this way.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I love this question! I would probably be Belle because she was always looking to keep learning. She always wants to understand how and why things happen. On top of that, she is such an accepting character and works for everyone she interacts with to feel like they have a place and like they matter which is something I try and do in my everyday life!


If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play at Fenway Park, who would you take with you? Why?

If I had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play at Fenway I would probably take my little brother. He is turning 7 in September and has not been super exposed to baseball in his life but is a huge sports fanatic and will cheer with so much enthusiasm for any team he can! 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

In general, I’ve never been to a professional game! I have always wanted to go to a Red Sox game because I have a ton of friends and family who have gone and they had the best time! I would just love to experience that for myself! More specifically though, I would love to somehow catch a ball that went into the stands because that would just be a really cool story to tell! 


---

That would definitely be cool. I've never done that either.

As always, I want to thank Emma for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Emma during the rest of her journey. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account. 
It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on, and you'll be sure not to miss anything. 


Thanks again Emma, and good luck in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week