Friday, September 2, 2022

Jessica Reisinger Visits Section 36!

Photo-Kevin Hedin
Section 36 had another visitor! 
Jessica Reisinger is passionate about supporting survivors of sexual assault, a talented performer, and the current Miss Alaska. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Jessica Reisinger visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Alaska crown?

I had an exam at 8 AM the morning following Miss Alaska, so I was up until about 2 AM studying the various types of blood cancer after winning the crown! I got to celebrate in the days following with my Miss Alaska pageant family! 


Do you have a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Alaska?

I have two main goals as Miss Alaska, the first being growing our program. This year, we had 9 Miss and 5 Teen candidates, I’d like to work to double that number for the 2023 competition. In regards to my SII, I’d love to partner with the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN) to continue to promote the importance of resources for survivors of sexual assault and what it means to small and rural communities. 

Back-to-back Korean-American Alaskans Miss Americas would be pretty cool, too.


What part of the upcoming Miss America competition are you most nervous about?

I am so excited and beyond grateful to represent the Last Frontier at Miss America. I’m most nervous about talent, I’m working with a new routine and limited time to practice but I am so excited to share this story through dance on the Miss America stage. 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Supporting Survivors: Increasing Access to Sexual Assault Response Resources”?

Before medical school, I worked in the emergency room which is an extremely harrowing job at times. It really brought to light the limited access to medical care that plagues Alaskan communities. After volunteering as a sexual assault crisis line responder for over two years, I know this was the issue I needed to bring to the forefront of conversation. I will never forget the time I signed onto my crisis line shift and was told there would not be any forensic nurses available for sexual assault exams for nearly 10 hours and anyone who needed an exam in that time frame would need to wait until morning. 


What do you enjoy most about performing your talent on stage?

I have always loved story telling and I grew up as a competitive gymnast so I’ve always loved performing. Learning how to transform my past as a gymnast into a stage-ready talent was a very unique experience. I had to learn how to dance in a way that wasn’t just executing skills, but connecting with an audience and telling a story. 


You’re currently attending medical school at the UW School of Medicine. What drew you to that field?

I say a lot that I never had a “lightbulb” moment that drew me to medicine. I just always knew it was what I was meant to do. I loved the science of the human body and as I grew older, realized that medicine is so much more than that. I grew to love the human connection that comes from being a physician. So, nothing in particular drew me to medicine, I just always knew it was for me, but many incredible physician mentors have kept me here. They’re my go-to people when I have a negative experience with a patient or have put in so many 12 hour days studying that I want to quit. I know I have these people in my corner for life and I am so grateful for that. 


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Photo-Kevin Hedin
Raya from Raya and the Last Dragon! Honestly, I’ve never been a huge Disney fan, but a friend of mine sat me down to watch that movie last year and I instantly fell in love. She’s quite a complex character for a children movie and I think it makes her seem more real. I’ve watched it probably 10 times in the last year. 


If you had an extra ticket to see an Alaska Baseball League game, who would you take with you? Why?

My dad! My family has always been huge baseball fans and I basically grew up on the Little League fields watching my older brother play sitting next to my dad on the bleachers. He’d always take us to the Tacoma Rainers games when I was little and those are some of my favorite memories. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

More so a specific game I’d love to attend! I’d love to attend a Seattle Mariners game again. They’re the closest thing Alaska has to a home team. I attended a game when I was 10 and feel like I didn’t appreciate it as much as I would now!

---

I definitely hope she gets to a game soon! 

As always, I want to thank Jessica for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Jessica continues her time as Miss Alaska, I encourage you to check out her title's Website and Instagram. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be wonderful to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Jessica, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week