Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Melody Pierce Visits Section 36!

Photo: Jenn Cady
Section 36 had another visitor! Melody Pierce is passionate about eating disorder awareness, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Arizona. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 


So, let's see what happens when Melody Pierce visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Arizona crown?

I got straight to work! This opportunity has been a long-time dream for me so even the night I won I started brainstorming and organizing my plan for my year ahead, I was so excited that I couldn't sleep! 


What has been the biggest surprise about your time as Miss Arizona?

So far, it's been the true impact that Miss Arizona has, I think it's challenging to understand the full scope of this job from the outside looking in and now having the opportunity, I witness firsthand the hard work and impact that comes with the job. 


What part of the upcoming Miss America competition are you most nervous about?

I'd not really nervous about anything because I have such a strong support system and foundation but I'm more so excited to live out this dream and celebrate every moment, I think it's going to be a really fun experience!


How did you select your social impact initiative, “S.T.E.P.S. Towards Eating Disorder Recovery and Awareness”?

I personally struggled with an eating disorder in my youth and was diagnosed at the age of 10 after the passing of my father. This led to a six-year battle and I am so thankful to be alive today and to be able to share my story so that others can have the resources and confidence to overcome this disease. 


What do you enjoy most about performing your talent on stage?

My talent is a tribute to my late father and I just think about celebrating him on stage the whole time and us dancing together and having fun. 


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Oh gosh, this is a hard question- I'm tied between Mary Poppins, Doug from UP and (are we considering Star Wars characters Disney?) because if yes, Padme Amidala! 


You graduated from Arizona State University with a degree in journalism. What drew you to that field?

I love storytelling and helping local businesses get the recognition they deserve through the media. 


If you had an extra ticket to see a Red Sox - Diamondbacks game, who would you take with you? Why?

I would take my roommate, Kaelyn Buffard, she's a big baseball fan and we actually used to compete together in the Miss America Organization. We are actually headed to the Diamondbacks game tonight! 


Is there a feature or activity during a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I would love to throw the first pitch! Or in Arizona, the kids do a mustard, ketchup and relish bag race and I think that would be really fun! 


---

Yup. That does sound like a lot of fun! 

As always, I want to thank Melody for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Melody continues her time as Miss Arizona, I encourage you to check out her title's Website and InstagramThey're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be wonderful to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Melody, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week