Friday, September 23, 2022

Elizabeth Lynch Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Elizabeth Lynch is passionate about promoting agriculture, and the current Miss West Virginia. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Elizabeth Lynch visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss West Virginia crown?

To be honest with you, the day after I won, my family and I made cheeseburgers to celebrate. We wanted to spend some quality time over dinner and talk about how crazy the next 365 days would be! (And who doesn’t love a good burger?)


What did you learn about yourself during the Miss West Virginia competition that will help you at Miss America?

During the competition for Miss West Virginia, I spent some time reflecting on the past 5 years that I had been involved in the Miss America Organization. From a nervous 19-year-old with a small amount of self-confidence to a 24-year-old making big moves with my social impact initiative, I knew that I had grown tremendously. Throughout Miss West Virginia week, I put that feeling into everything I did. I realized that no matter what the outcome would be, I knew that I was proud of my accomplishments and my personal development. I just happened to be lucky enough to win the title this year. I plan to bring that same feeling with me to the Miss America stage. I am proud of the hard work I have done. I am proud to be West Virginian. And I am a proud woman in agriculture. 

 

What part of the Miss America competition are you most nervous about?

I am nervous about talent! I am sharing a personal experience and how it is tied into a moment of personal growth. I love my talent and I am so excited to share it on a national level. However, it’s so different from what is typically on the Miss America stage that I am worried about how it will be received. But, at the end of the day, I must remember that I am thrilled with my original work and know that this message will make an impact on someone’s life. 

 

How did you select your social impact initiative, “Growing Up, Growing Ag.”?

I have been involved in agriculture since I was 5 years old. At that age, I began riding horses and 4 years later I began raising swine through 4-H. I joined FFA in high school and fell in love with the future of agriculture. I knew I wanted to be one of the hard-working Americans responsible for feeding our world and I wanted to work towards ensuring that our agricultural industry is sustainable, affordable, and safe. I dedicated my education and career towards agriculture. Becoming a part of the Miss America Organization was no exception. The goals of my social impact initiative, “Growing Up, Growing Ag: Advocating for American Agriculture”, are to promote American farmers and farmer’s markets, bridge the gap between producers and consumers, educate on agricultural careers and practices, and remind those around me to always thank a farmer.


What can you tell me about “Farmer Friday”?

My Farmer Friday interviews started during the beginning of the pandemic and have been a part of my SII since then. We are told that our crowns are a microphone. However, I don’t want West Virginia to hear only my voice. I want to use my crown to amplify the voices of our agriculturists, ag organizations, and ag businesses. I use my Farmer Friday interviews as a way to allow these folks to tell their story and put a face to a name. Not only does this educate my viewers on the numerous agricultural career opportunities, but this also lets our consumers know exactly what is going on in the ag industry, provides them with numerous resources, and gives them ideas on how to support the industry itself.

 

If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would say Colette from Ratatouille! Not only is she a tough female character but she is also a phenomenal French chef who has worked hard to perfect her craft. I feel connected to her in that way. I have had to work extremely hard to get to the point I am today in the male-dominated agricultural field. So, seeing that strong, hard-working woman in a Disney movie was always huge for me! (Also, who wouldn’t want to know how to create top notch French meals and get the opportunity to try those dishes??)

 

You’re a West Virginia University graduate with a master’s degree in food and nutritional sciences. Where do you see that background taking you?

I actually decided to get this degree in particular because I wanted to ensure that I had a well-rounded animal science background before continuing to my PhD. Animal nutrition is a fundamental piece of the animal science puzzle that I wanted to refine. Now that I have that background, I will start my PhD in the fall of 2023. The goal is to eventually become a professor at a Land-Grant university with a teaching and research appointment. I would like to continue inspiring young adults to become involved in agriculture while doing research in sustainable agricultural practices. 

 

If you had an extra ticket to see a West Virginia Power baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

I would take my brothers, Brett and Joseph! They always know how to make a great time better, and we never fail to make each other laugh. I know taking them to a game would be an insane amount of fun!


Is there a feature or activity during a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I’ve been to quite a few MLB games, and I have absolutely loved my experiences there. I would like to actually catch a foul ball at some point but I cannot catch/throw anything to save my life. This is why I am an equestrian athlete. Ha-ha!!


---

I'd love to catch a ball at a game too! 

As always, I want to thank Elizabeth for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Elizabeth continues her time as Miss West Virginia, I encourage you to check out her title's Website, Facebook, TikTok, Youtube, and InstagramThey're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be wonderful to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Elizabeth, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week