Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Haley Passione Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Haley Passione is passionate about mental health, an event planner, and the current Miss Iron City. I was so flattered she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Haley Passione visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Iron City crown?

I immediately called my mom! I didn’t have a typical crowning because I competed in a digital sweeps. After my interview in the morning, I had to wait all day for a phone call from Miss Pennsylvania, Alysa Bainbridge, so there was a lot of excitement and relief when it finally came! I’m super excited to be coming out of pageant retirement to compete this summer.

 

Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Iron City?

I’d like to work with local organizations, such as Prevention Point and the Allegheny County Health Department, to provide naxolone (Narcan) and training on identifying the signs of an overdose to as many bars and restaurants as possible in the Pittsburgh area. Not only is substance use (and abuse) prevalent in the food and beverage industry but servers and bartenders constantly encounter customers who are mixing substances without our knowledge. Having the skillset to identify that someone is overdosing and access to Narcan can be lifesaving.

 

What did you learn about yourself at the Iron City competition that will help you at Miss Pennsylvania?

Competing in a “digital sweeps” was a brand new experience forme. I competed for the title of Miss Nevada several times in college, so on-stage competition is comfortable for me at this point. I’m also a former theatre kid and I love being in front of a crowd. Having to compete digitally was way more nerve-wracking than I expected! But it really showed me how adaptable I can be to new situations, which makes me feel at ease going into Miss Pennsylvania because I’m new to this state organization.

 

How did you select your “mental health and harm reduction” community service initiative?

I chose mental health as part of my CSI because I’ve had my own struggles with depression and anxiety in recent years, and I know I’m far from alone. It can be hard to take the first step toward seeking help and I know how easy it is to turn to unhealthy coping mechanisms. I’m lucky that I have a really wonderful support system and access to mental health care. But millions of Americans are struggling with these conditions, and others, every single day and most of them aren’t receiving any meaningful care. I want to use my platform to share my story and encourage people to seek help when they’re struggling. The reason I decided to focus on harm reduction in addition to mental health is because they often go hand in hand. I worked full-time in the service industry for nearly 5 years, and I’ve seen the intersection of mental health and substance abuse many times. Harm reduction seriously can be as simple as taking car keys away from someone who’s had too much to drink and it makes a world of difference.


You’re working on a master’s degree in higher education. Where do you see that journey taking you?

College was such a transformative experience for me, and a lot of that was thanks to the Student Affairs staff at my school. They really played a role in teaching me how to be a real, functional adult once I graduated and inspired me to pursue this degree. The program I’m in at the University of Pittsburgh is heavily focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion, so I hope to always be an advocate for students. My dream role is to be a director or vice president of Title IX/Compliance.

 

You currently work as an event planner. What do you enjoy about that experience?

I find that I’m naturally drawn to jobs where I get to work with people, which is probably why I was a bartender for so long. As an event coordinator, I love helping people turn their vision for their event into a reality! It’s really rewarding to see your work pay off as a successful event.

 

If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I have to go with Mary Poppins. The bottomless bag would be so helpful in my daily life. Especially on the days that I'm going straight from the gym to work to class!

 

If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play the Pirates, who would you take with you? Why?

I would absolutely take my best friend, Macie Tuell (some of you might know her as Miss Nevada 2021!) Sadly, I don’t get to see her often while she’s jet-setting around the world as a personal assistant. But we truly never have a bad time together and PNC Park is a stadium everyone should get to experience in their lifetime. Plus, the Pierogi Race is a can’t miss event.

 

Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

My talent is singing, so I would love to perform the National Anthem at a Buccos game!


---


I bet that would be wonderful.

As always, I want to thank Haley for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Pennsylvania! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Haley during her journey. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on, and you'll be sure not to miss anything.


Thanks again Haley, and good luck!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week