Friday, July 8, 2022

Sarah Jensen Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Sarah Jensen is a passionate math teacher, a talented pianist, and the current Miss Idaho. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Sarah Jensen visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Idaho crown?

I celebrated winning Miss Idaho by enjoying time with my friends, family, and community. I have competed 5 times for the title of Miss Idaho, and I never would've won without their support.. This is just as much their victory as it is mine.


What is something that Ayriss Torres did as Miss Idaho that you would like to repeat or expand on?

Ayriss started a podcast for her social impact, the Equity Project. I would love to do something similar with mine!


What did you learn about yourself at the Miss Idaho competition that will help you at Miss America?

I learned not to doubt myself. There were areas of competition that I felt like I could have done better, but at the end of the night, I was award 3 preliminary awards and the title of Miss Idaho. 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Why Math Matters”?

I am a math teacher. I wanted to find a way to inspire my students to fall in love with math. In order to do that, I started interviewing people of different professions about how they use math in their careers. I started a Youtube channel and I made a website (whymathmatters.weebly.com) to showcase the interviews. :)


What do you enjoy most about performing your talent on stage?

I LOVE performing onstage. I took piano lessons for 13 years. I love that the Miss America Organization gives me the opportunity to showcase all of those years of hard work.


As a math teacher. What do you enjoy about that field?

I love the idea that I am making an impact on students' lives. I get to be a consistent part of their daily lives, and that is really powerful.


What is your personal fitness routine?

I go to Orange Theory Fitness 4 times per week. It is high-intensity interval training mixed with weights. I really enjoy it!


If you had an extra ticket to see a baseball game between the Boise Hawks and the Idaho Falls Chukars, who would you take with you? Why?

I would probably take my golden retriever, Finn. ;) I understand that they may not allow dogs... but I think she would have a really great time!


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I would really like the opportunity to throw the first pitch at a baseball game! I have always wanted to do this, and now that I am Miss Idaho, I am hoping to make that happen. 


---

There must be a dog at the park day or something so Finn could go! 

As always, I want to thank Sarah for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Sarah continues her time as Miss Idaho, I encourage you to follow her title's Instagram. You should also check out the official Miss Idaho website. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Sarah, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week