Monday, July 18, 2022

Sylvana Gonzalez Revisits Section 36!

Photo: CS Marchand
Sylvana Gonzalez
 was kind enough to visit with Section 36 in 2019 while she held the title of Miss Greater Rockville. Fast forward more than three years, and Sylvana is back with her new title, Miss Connecticut, and ready to take the Miss America stage. Sylvana was nice enough to answer some more questions for us so we can see what she's been up to, and what lies ahead. I hope you enjoy everything she has to say.



So let's see what happens when Sylvana Gonzalez revisits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Connecticut crown? 

You know of all the questions in this interview, I had to answer this one last. A large part of my journey through this organization has been actively working through, and surviving Domestic Violence. Winning Miss Connecticut, was close to this chapter of my life. I sat in my car and looked down at my sash sparkling from the street lights outside my windshield and cried the ugliest, happiest, relieved, and humbled tears of joy. 


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Connecticut? 

This organization has given me so much. I want to build relationships with as many add organizations, businesses, and volunteers who share our mission to “Prepare Great Women for the World.” to make the next 100 years of Miss America stronger than the last - especially in our current climate where the voices and civic action of women will be the ones that change the world. 


What did you learn about yourself at the Miss Connecticut competition that will help you at Miss America? 
After reflecting on all I had survived in these last ten years, I realized I had become the woman I needed when I was younger. Knowing this, I walked with a peace Domestic Violence once stripped from me. I get to carry this with me to Miss America, and share healing is a right we all deserve to find. 

I think you have an important social impact initiative, “Ending the Cycle of Abuse, With Heart”. What can you tell me about it? 

My Impact is centered around casting light on the many faces of abuse and empowering you to be the change. Throughout my life, I have witnessed Domestic Violence in masculine, and feminine capacities and know that there is no one “look” to abuse. I look forward to educating followers on their right to recovery, collaborating with organizations that share this mission to empower the quality of life initiatives, and modeling peace that becomes a committed practice during the aftermath of abuse. 


What book are you currently reading? 

I LOVE that you asked this question. I just finished “Jesus, CEO: Using Ancient Wisdom for Visionary Leadership.” By Laurie Beth Jones. It is a beautiful breakdown of how to be a selfless, faith-fueled advocate and leader. I would not want to do my year of service any other way and this was the perfect depiction.


How would you complete the sentence, “I get great satisfaction when ___”? 

WHEN I HOLD MY NIECES! I have five gorgeous girls and being their Tia is such a beautiful honor. I want to continue modeling opportunities I hope they one day take advantage of and surpass. 


If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why? 

Give me Belle’s library and the castle that cooks for her because I could live in a Barnes & Noble if you let me. 


If you had an extra ticket to see the Hartford Yard Goats play the Somerset Patriots, who would you take with you? Why? 

My dad! I remember the first time I was asked to make the first pitch at our hometown opening night baseball game, he was mortified. He was a baseball star in high school/college but I inherited his love for art and education NOT hand-eye coordination. He made me practice with him in the yard until my arms fell off so I wouldn’t embarrass myself. I think this would be a sweet trip to make together. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience? 

I would love to throw a pitch again as Miss Connecticut. So much has changed from my first year to now. I think it would be a memorable experience even if I put my dad’s hours of rehearsing with me to shame.


---

I'm so excited that just after interviewing with us, Sylvana got that chance! She did a fabulous job. 

As always, I want to thank Sylvana for visiting with us, and for sending along the picture to go with the interview.

As Sylvana continues her time as Miss Connecticut, I encourage you to check out her title's website and social media like FacebookInstagram and TikTokThey're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be wonderful to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Sylvana, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week