Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Kaitlin Kerl Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! Kaitlin Kerl is passionate about getting women in STEM fields, a talented dancer, and the current Miss New Mexico. I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. I'm especially excited that she is our first visitor from the state of New Mexico!


So, let's see what happens when Kaitlin Kerl visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss New Mexico crown?

After becoming Miss New Mexico, I celebrated by spending time with my family! 


What did you learn about yourself at the Miss New Mexico competition that will help you at Miss America?

While competing in the Miss New Mexico Scholarship competition I learned to just enjoy myself. Instead of stressing about achieving perfection I continued to remind myself that I had already prepared for each moment and that my confidence and positivity would follow me on stage. I believe that while you are competing you must have an alternate goal besides winning, because ultimately there can only be one winner. For me it was challenging myself to enjoy my ability to perform one last time and that is exactly what I will be doing at Miss America!


What is something that Emma Broyles is doing as Miss America that you would want to emulate?

I love how Emma Broyles is so open to different types ofcommunity appearances. As a title holder in the Miss America Scholarship Organization, I have always kept an open mind when it comes to engaging with my community. From golfing to repelling down the side of a building I am down!


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Building Bridges Through Inclusion”?

Building Bridges Through Inclusion is a movement I created to provide opportunities for growth and success amongst women in STEM. As a future architect I want to design a path for more women here in New Mexico to pursue higher education and careers in STEM. The name is also a play on words. “Building Bridges” is me using architecture as a way to encourage the “Inclusion” of more women becoming interested in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.


As a talented dancer and gymnast, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?

I love performing on stage because I get to share the parts of me that make me unique while showcasing my hard work and dedication. I was a gymnast for 16 years and I have always loved being given the chance to show off a little bit and get the audience engaged in what I am doing. Performing my talent is an absolute blast and the energy from the crowd is always so electrifying and I love it!


You are working on an MA in Architecture. What drew you to that field?

I am currently in my final year in the Master of Architecture program at The University of New Mexico. I was drawn to architecture because it allows me to make a positive difference for future generations and the environment through design and digital fabrication.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would be Perry The Platypus because I think it would be super cool to be a secret agent and go undercover and I can make the same sounds he makes!


If you had an extra ticket to an Albuquerque Isotopes game, who would you take with you? Why?

If I could take anyone with me right now it would be my boyfriend’s grandma! She is always taking us to Isotopes games, and I always have so much fun. I would love to take her to a game for a change.


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

Honestly, I have been wanting to try the T-shirt canon since I was a kid! I would love the chance to give the fans T-shirts and maybe partner up with the Isotopes to produce a special design!


---

A partnered t-shirt design would be a fun idea! 

As always, I want to thank Kaitlin for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Kaitlin continues her time as Miss New Mexico, I encourage you to follow her title's Instagram. You should also check out the official Miss New Mexico website. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Kaitlin, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week