Monday, July 11, 2022

Karolyn Martin Visits Section 36!

Photo: Matt Boyd
Section 36 had another visitor! 
Karolyn Martin is passionate about eating for success, a talented singer, and the current Miss North Carolina. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Karolyn Martin visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss North Carolina crown? 

A good night's sleep haha! Between defending my thesis, graduating, starting my first "big girl job", and preparing for the competition, I have not been the most well-rested. I was grateful to enjoy a few good nights of rest before heading back to work and beginning my travels as Miss North Carolina. 

What is something that Carli Batson did as Miss North Carolina that you would like to emulate or expand upon? 

I admired Carli's ability to be herself as Miss North Carolina. She found ways to connect with others through her authenticity whether or not she had the crown on. There is great power in reaching people in a way that is honest and real. That is something I will strive to emulate. 

What did you learn about yourself at the Miss North Carolina competition that will help you at Miss America? 

When you have fun on stage, the rest is easy! In previous competitions, I felt like I had to have every little moment choreographed and rehearsed. While I prepared diligently, I allowed myself to make different choices than I may have planned to and enjoyed every second on stage. I believe that being in the moment is what allowed Karolyn to shine through. 

How did you select your social impact initiative, “#SelfKare: Eat to Success”? 

As a child, I struggled with my body image, but as an athlete, I learned the importance of fueling my body to feel and function at its best. #SelfKare: Eat to Success focuses on teaching the community to eat in a way that fuels our minds and bodies to success while taking the focus off of weight and appearance. I have had the opportunity to host 2 nationally attended wellness summits, speak to over 2,000 North Carolina students and publish a cookbook for college students! This year, I plan to visit colleges and universities, work with strategic partners across the country, and utilize digital marketing tools to promote my initiative and grow the brand voice of the Miss America Organization. 

As a talented singer, what do you enjoy most about performing your talent on stage? 
I love performing and telling stories which is why I love singing musical theatre. Bringing a character to life and connecting with others through a story and your own experiences makes performing magical! 


You recently graduated with a degree in communication studies and marketing. Where do you see that field taking you? 

I am planning to pursue a J.D./MBA and work in business law to help women achieve their entrepreneurial goals. The skills I learned in my undergraduate degree will also be useful in the job of Miss North Carolina as I promote my Social Impact Initiative and our organization on the state and national levels. 

If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why? 

Well, I have had the opportunity to perform as characters for children's parties and events for several years now. I was even cast to perform on Disney Cruise Lines, but unfortunately had to turn it down to complete my education!! That being said, I would have to be Princess Jasmine. She was one of my favorite princesses growing up. I loved her strength and determination... and who doesn't want to fly on a magic carpet!?  

If you had an extra ticket to see the Charlotte Knights play the Durham Bulls, who would you take with you? Why? 

Realistically, my mom. She is my partner in crime! In a dream world, Savvy Sheilds! She is the next Miss America I am hoping to meet! 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience? 

I have always wanted to throw the first pitch at a game! Hopefully, that dream will come true as Miss North Carolina! 


---

Hopefully she can make that happen! 

As always, I want to thank Karolyn for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Karolyn continues her time as Miss North Carolina, I encourage you to check out her title's website and social media like Facebook and Instagram, . You should also check out her personal website and follow her on Instagram and TikTok. You can also purchase the cookbook she mentioned on Amazon! In fact, do it all now. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Karolyn, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week