Monday, March 15, 2021

1975 Topps Page by Page: Page 50 (442-450)

I'm sure that you all remember that I finally completed my 1975 Topps set.

Now that it's done I thought it would be fun to look through the set and talk about it. Going page by page seemed like a good way to go about it. Hopefully you find it interesting to read what I have to say.

How about we continue with page 50?


Red Sox Cards on the Page  

0. Nopers.


Cards that make the 1975 Topps set cool 

Players from the 1975 World Series are cool, even if they only came to the plate twice. Team cards are cool. Cards of future Hall of Famers are definitely cool. 


My favorite card on the page 

Some great uniform choices today. The Braves, Indians, and White Sox designs are just great. But, I'd be remiss if I didn't go with the McCovey. For one thing, he's definitely one of the all time greats. (If only he was wearing a Giants uniform.) Plus, my first trip to the Baseball Hall of Fame was in 1986, which happened to be the year of his induction. It was also the year Red Sox great Bobby Doerr was selected. While I'll admit I was a bit too young to know much of anything about McCovey at the time (or even Doerr, to be honest) the yearbook I bought had him on the cover. I read and reread that yearbook many times. So, there's always that link with me and McCovey. 


What would your answers to those last two categories be?


3 comments:

  1. I liked the Felix Millan card as a kid. The Mets cards were so cool at that time and seemed so elusive. I had the McCovey back then, I thought it was a really boring card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Willie McCovey has the classic UER where the trivia question doesn't match the answer. The question is "Who was 'The Hat'" and the answer given is "Jerry Lynch, with 18", which makes no sense. The intended answer is "Harry Walker". The question for Lynch would be something like "Who holds the career record for the most pinch-hit home runs?" He's now third behind Matt Stairs and Cliff Johnson. The cartoon goes with "The Hat".

    ReplyDelete
  3. McCovey is easily the coolest, but I'll give the favorite vote to Leon, just because there isn't enough Maximinos in professional sports.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week