Friday, March 19, 2021

Miranda O'Bryan Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Miranda O'Bryan is passionate about reading, a television reporter, and the current Miss Rolling Plains. I was excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. I was also thrilled that she is the first titleholder to visit from the state of South Dakota!

So, let's see what happens when Miranda O'Bryan visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Rolling Plains crown?
The first thing I did was call my parents! They were at a wedding with some of our extended family and they were keeping their eyes on their phones for updates so I had to call them the moment I left the stage! When I was crowned Miss Rolling Plains, my foreign exchange sister from my junior year of high school was visiting, so I got to spend the evening celebrating with her! We never thought I would try something like competing in Miss America so it was exciting to show her my new(ish) passion. 


What have you learned about yourself as Miss Rolling Plains that will help you when you complete for Miss South Dakota? 

As Miss Rolling Plains, Miss SDSU, and Miss Missouri Valley,

I have learned that I have the confidence and the drive to work towards what I want. My first year competing, it took me five local competitions before I earned my spot at Miss SD. I'm thankful to have had time to grow and be empowered by the women around me. This entire journey has taught me to never stop pushing and working hard. 


What has been the most pleasant surprise about your time as Miss Rolling Plains?

Well it was quite the surprise getting to hold the title of Miss Rolling Plains for two years! I never thought I'd ever experience anything like this pandemic and it's sort of a blessing in disguise but it has allowed me to hold an amazing title for two years and work harder (and longer) towards the job of Miss South Dakota. 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Page Turners - Fall in Love with Reading”?

I wanted to share with South Dakotans and the judges a piece of myself and I wouldn't be who I am today without reading. When it came down to it, I knew I wanted something that could translate across many age groups from 2 to 102 and reading is a universal thing we can all benefit from. 


As a talented singer, what do you enjoy about performing on stage?

I love getting to show my personality! Singing is a way for me to express myself in a way that I don't think I can by simply talking. It gives judges, the audience, kids, anyone a chance to see and hear my passion for music. 


You work as a reporter for KOTA Territory News. What’s the best part about that job?

The best part about my job is sharing people's stories. Not only is it my job to share information and facts with the community and state, but I think it's also my job to share the story of the five year old selling root beer floats to earn money for a new bike, or the woman with brain cancer who gets to have her dream wedding for free, or the homeless man downtown who is simply doing what he can in that moment. 


You’re also the in-game host for the Rapid City Rush. What is that experience like?

Being the Rush's in-game host is probably the best part time

job I've ever had! Even though things are different with the pandemic, I get to interact with the crowd and make their hockey experience better than they could have imagined. Plus I've gotten to help with three proposals so far this season, it's so heartwarming and great helping people express their love!


If you had an extra ticket to a Minnesota Twins game, who would you take with you? Why?
Tough question but I'd have to go with my best friend Jourdan! Although neither one of us knows too much about the ins and outs of baseball, I know we'd have a blast! Plus I haven't been to a Twins game in many years, it'd be great to go back and pull out my old Twins baseball cap!


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

So I've gotten to sing the national anthem for high school wrestling, basketball games, even hockey games, but never baseball! If I ever get the chance to sing the National Anthem at a professional baseball game (and maybe even throw the first pitch if I could finesse my way into that), that would be pretty great! Also like the song says, I want someone to buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks! 


---

I wish someone would buy me those too! 

As always, I want to thank Miranda for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Miranda continues her time as Miss Rolling Plains, I encourage you to follow her official Instagram and Facebook accounts and her professional Instagram. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on!


I also definitely want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss South Dakota title. It would be wonderful to have the first Section 36 visitor wear that crown!
 
Thanks again Miranda, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week