Wednesday, March 17, 2021

2021 Topps Series 1 Blaster!

Remember when I wrote about bumping into the card vendor? And, remember when I said I'd eventually talk about what I got out of that encounter? Well, if you do, today's your lucky day! And, if you don't, you still get to see some cards!

At this point, I'm guessing most everyone has seen the cards on one blog or another, if not in person. But, what do I think of them? That you might not know.

Until now!


That's the box, just in case nobody has ever shown you one before.


And that's that comes inside. Seven packs, plus one pack with the 70th anniversary patch card. I also like the addition of coupons towards future Topps products. Like any of us will see any of those on the shelves at all this year.


Here's the patch card thingie. Not exactly the best design concept. I much prefer the RC redos they did before.


The First pack yielded this '52 Topps style card of Jo Adel. Which is nice, since the 52' Topps design is never recycled. I always enjoy seeing it in the rare instance it pops up again.


The First Red Sox card of 2021! Although, not really sure this counts. Should probably only consider cards of current players. Not reprinted cards from the past 70 years. Right?


Ok, the First Red Sox Card of 2021! Well, that's not exactly right either.


Here's a base card to talk about. Still not a Red Sox, but I do enjoy Bichette. Again, I'm sure you've heard lots of comments from lots of people already. I agree with some of them. The size of the name is WAY WAY WAY too small! I shouldn't have to pause and stare just to figure out who it is. They finally stop putting the names in foil, and they do this. At least before I could usually find an angle that would work for flipping. With this? Easier to just flip through and figure out the names later. As for the spikey bars? I don't mind them. This one is actually a bit cluttered with the extra "Future Stars" logo. But, I'd prefer the design element going over the picture as opposed to shrinking the picture to fit the design outside. Another complaint is that the pictures are too close. I don't really mind that either. I consider Topps base to be a documentation of the players in the league. So, I like the concept of close up pictures of the players. Save the artistic photos and action shots for Stadium Club.


I honestly don't know how I feel about League Leader cards like this. On the one hand, I enjoy the variety that a multi-player leaders card provides. On the other, I enjoy having another clean card of stars. Except for Yankees.


I like this card a lot. I mean, if you're making a set chronicling a season played in the middle of a pandemic, you need to mention it in the set. This is a good way to do it.

And there is is. Two Red Sox card, but still no Red Sox base. That wait continues.

How did your blaster go?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week