Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Lilly Coveney Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Lilly Coveney is passionate about brain injury awareness, a talented singer, and the current Miss Greater Carolina. I was thrilled that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.
 
So, let's see what happens when Lilly Coveney visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Greater Carolina crown?

I was crowned at the last prelim of the season in South Carolina, which is the night before workshop weekend officially begins, so I really got to celebrate all weekend from having a crowd of people come to the stage to congratulate me to attending workshop weekend and meeting people that had been rooting for me on my journey to get there. It was the best way to celebrate joining this organization.


What part of the upcoming Miss South Carolina competition are you most nervous about?

Most of my nerves are related to this being my first time participating in the Miss South Carolina state competition. The Miss South Carolina Organization has a little over 50 miss candidates and puts on a phenomenal show that resembles something out of a movie. So that is enough to strike up some nerves of any newcomers. 


What has been the most pleasant surprise about your time as Miss Greater Carolina?

It has been so pleasant to see how truly supportive other people involved in the Miss America organization are. It’s been amazing to join this nationwide community of genuine friendship and support. 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Change Your Mind: Brain Injury Awareness”?

I chose my social impact initiative based on my own life. In November 2016, I acquired a traumatic brain injury after being struck by a moving car as a pedestrian on the sidewalk, but I wasn't diagnosed with a concussion until 2 weeks later when I couldn't remember things in my daily life. Through my recovery, I learned how common these injuries but how uninformed we may be about common signs and symptoms. That's when I decided I was going to make a difference by raising awareness of what they are and signs to look for to help aid in easier diagnose and treatment for everyone.

What is your favorite part about performing your talent on stage?

My favorite part of performing my talent (singing) for me is embracing how far I have come. When I was younger, anytime I would have to sing in front of anyone I would be so nervous and literally shake. Now to be performing on the Miss South Carolina stage is something that little girl would have never believed she could do. 


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would be Marie from the Aristocats. I recently got a kitten and I'd love to see life from his perspective, plus everyone loves a good cat nap.

What is your personal fitness routine?

Currently I have a simple routine of walking and light yoga while I recover from TMJ surgery. Once I recover, I'll go back to my normal routine of yoga, weights, and swimming. 


Who is your favorite current Red Sox player? Why?

My current favorite Red Sox player is Jackie Bradley, Jr. I grew up near The University of South Carolina and would semi-regularly attend games when he was a player there. So it's been really awesome to go from seeing him at local games to making his mark in the MLB as a Red Sox player.


Is there a feature or activity in a game at Fenway Park that you’d especially like to experience?

I'd love to watch a Red Sox game at the window inside the Bleacher Bar, its a restaurant built into the green monster and has a full length window looking out onto the field. I fell in love with the view after visiting the last time I was in Boston (when there was not a game happening) and would love to watch a game from that angle.


---

That would definitely be a great experience! (I hope she's ok with the news breaking after our interview that JBJ is now a "former" Red Sox player.) 

As always, I want to thank Lilly for visiting with us, and for sending along the amazing pictures to go with the interview.

As Lilly continues her time as Miss Greater Carolina, I encourage you to follow her on Instagram. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on!


I also definitely want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss South Carolina title. It would be wonderful to have the first Section 36 visitor wear that crown!
 
Thanks again Lilly, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week