Friday, April 8, 2022

Miranda Moore Visits Section 36!

Photo: Matt Boyd
Section 36 had another visitor! 
Miranda Moore is passionate about sustainability, an environmental engineer, and the current Miss Lancaster County. I was so excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Miranda Moore visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Lancaster County crown?

After sleeping in, I celebrated winning the Miss Lancaster County crown by going to the Red Rabbit with my family! The Red Rabbit is an old-fashioned 1950's style drive-in restaurant, and they have the best food in the world, but they’re only open on weekends. It was their first weekend back open for the 2022 season, so it seemed only fitting that lunch there was my first official celebration as Miss Lancaster County! 


What portion of the Miss Pennsylvania competition are you most nervous about?

The portion of the Miss Pennsylvania competition that I am most nervous about, but also most excited about, is talent. As a clarinetist and pianist, I selected a piece that is extremely technically challenging but also that embraces the tones and musicality of both instruments. Practicing this piece, while balancing my professional life and overall Miss Pennsylvania preparation, is definitely a challenge. However, I know it will be more than worth it when I hit the Miss Pennsylvania stage with a piece I absolutely love and feel confident in performing!


What is something that Meghan Sinisi is doing as Miss Pennsylvania that you would want to emulate?

Meghan Sinisi is a phenomenal Miss Pennsylvania, and she is doing so many things that I would like to emulate. Something that stands out to me, however, is that she often brings her local crown and her sash from the 100th Anniversary Miss America Competition to appearances. In doing this, she is able to wear her own Miss Pennsylvania crown and sash, but also have one for others to wear. It is so thoughtful and everyone absolutely loves it, especially children in schools! This may seem like a small thing, but it speaks to the overall genuine, kind-hearted, and intentional woman she is. And that is something I would love to emulate. 


How did you select your social impact initiative?

Photo: Cathy Marszalik
When I was studying Environmental Engineering, I took quite a few sustainability courses and even interned for my university’s Office of Sustainability. Through these experiences, I learned about the huge influence the fashion industry has on our planet and our people. Because of this, I made a shift in the way I bought, wore, and even thought about clothing, and have since continued to make strides in my sustainable fashion journey. This is how I selected my social impact initiative, #ClothesMinded, in which I bring awareness to these impacts and promote sustainable fashion. To do so, I highlight sustainable fashion resources, partner with sustainable brands, and wear an entirely sustainable competition wardrobe to stand for what I stand on. Working with an initiative that allows me to live my values, while empowering others to do the same, is incredibly rewarding and is truly one of my favorite parts of being in the Miss America Organization. 


What do you enjoy most about performing on stage?

What I most enjoy about performing on stage is being able to let down the walls of preparation and just be present. There is so much practice that goes into performing, and that practice builds a foundation of confidence which allows me to really enjoy being on stage and interacting with the audience. While I find this to be especially true during talent, it applies to all onstage phases of competition. These performances give the audience just a small glimpse into all of the hard work we put in as candidates, and allow us to showcase how passionate we are about what we do!


You’re currently employed as an environmental engineer. What drew you to that field?

I am currently employed as an environmental engineer and there are countless reasons I was drawn to this field. When I think of engineering, I think of a combination of problem solving and serving communities, and a field in which the work we do has lasting impacts. And when it came to choosing a particular field of engineering, environmental was almost a no-brainer, as I am so passionate about environmental advocacy. Being able to do something I love and work with incredible clients and organizations, including the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), reaffirms my love for this field every day!


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

If I could be a Disney character for a week, I would choose Anna from Frozen!! Specifically, Frozen II, because I think being Queen of Arendelle would be awesome. I absolutely loved the Frozen movies (fun fact- back in the day, I was ranked #1 in the world for Frozen trivia on QuizUp!) and love how Anna is always so optimistic and cares so deeply for her town and her family. 


If you had an extra ticket to see a Braves - Phillies game, who would you take with you? Why?

If I had an extra ticket to a Braves - Phillies game, I would take my sister, Megan, with me! She is my best friend and we are guaranteed to have a great time together. Plus, she actually went to school in Atlanta, so I know we would have quite the rivalry. I am already imagining all of the baseball food and snacks!!


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I know this is a bit of a stretch… but this weekend, I auditioned and was selected to perform the National Anthem at a Lancaster Barnstormers game! And while that will be absolutely awesome, this experience also opened my eyes to a new dream- to hang out and watch the game with their mascot, Cylo! I love our local celebrity’s hilarious personality and retro sneakers. Cylo, I’ll see you at a game!


---

Now, THAT would be amazing!

As usual, I want to thank Miranda for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish Miranda luck when she competes for Miss Pennsylvania! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Miranda during her journey as Miss Lancaster County. You should be sure to check out her Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on.


Thanks again Miranda, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week