Friday, April 15, 2022

Deolinda Mendes Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Deolinda Mendes is passionate about helping youth find their confidence, future nurse, and the current Miss Worcester County. I was so excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Deolinda Mendes visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Worcester County crown?

Leading up to pageants I always try to be very focused on my health. Eating healthy and fueling my body the best way I can so I am the best version of myself on pageant day. After packing up all my things after crowing, my best friend Miss Lakeville’s Outstanding Teen and I celebrated by getting McDonald’s happy meals and Mcflurry’s. This was just icing on the cake after winning, I was so excited that all my hard work and effort paid off and I just couldn’t wait to start doing volunteer work and getting to wear my new shiny hat! 


What portion of the Miss Massachusetts competition are you most nervous about?

Personally, when it comes to every pageant, I get very nervous about my onstage question, because it is in front of not only the judges but in front of the audience. During this phase of the competition, you can get asked basically anything, and being up on stage just makes it a little bit more nerve-racking than normal questions during an interview. This being my first ever states competition I really don’t know what to expect so I am nervous about everything but my onstage question in particular.  


What is something that Elizabeth Pierre is doing as Miss Massachusetts that you would want to emulate?

When I was about 16 years old, I decided to compete in my first local title, at the time I was only a teen, and walking into my first ever pageant I was already a bit shy and felt like the underdog because I have no experience. Being the only woman of color competing that day made me feel as though there wasn’t a space for me in this community. A few weeks after that pageant was Miss Boston/Cambridge 2020 pageant, I watched Liz become Miss Cambridge and it instantly changed me. I did not know her at the time, and I became a complete fan of hers. She changed my confidence, my view on pageants, and my stage presence, and she never even knew that. Due to the pandemic, Liz competed for Miss Massachusetts in 2021 instead of 2020, and later that night she became Miss Massachusetts 2021. Liz changed not only me but so many other women of color in this system. Through her acts of service, acts of kindness, promotion of her social impact incitive, and her words of encouragement for the black community she has become such a positive role model for not only me but for the younger generation. She has changed who I am today, and she is whom I strive to be like. Liz is a role model to all; I strive to become not only a better version of myself but a positive role model to young women of color who once felt as though there was not a space in the Miss America Organization. Just like Liz did for me. 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Be You”?

When I was younger, I was bullied a lot because I was smaller than the other kids in my grades. These actions truly stuck with me throughout elementary, middle, and even high school. I remember the feelings I would get when I felt like I was not enough at such a young age, this truly made me ashamed in my body and in the way I always looked. When I started competing in pageants this is when I watched my self-confidence flourish into something I never knew was possible. I developed a social impact that I can connect with and encouraging, reminding, and helping people believe that they are beautiful is a passion of mine. I know how it feels to not love the way you look, and love who you are, and I developed this social impact because I want to help the youth to find their confidence and learn to embrace their imperfections because imperfections live in everyone, and they are nothing to be ashamed of. 


What do you enjoy most about performing your talent on stage?

I have been a dancer for 15 years and I have always loved entertaining people. Being able to showcase my talent and continue to entertain the audience and the judges is the best part.


You’re studying nursing at Rhode Island College. What got you interested in that field?  

I have always loved the hard work and dedication that anyone in the medical field had, but the level that nurses have for their patients is heart-warming. I attended a vocational high school where I was in the Nursing Assistant technical field. Having this four-year opportunity gave me a glimpse into this field that I have always had a dream of working in, and I am so excited to one day become a nurse. I love that nurses are the workers giving the patient’s bedside care, and I love helping people, and being there for someone during their worst, and best times in life is heart-warming. Although I am only in my first year of school, I know that my hard work and dedication will pay off and I cannot wait to work my dream job!! 


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would want to be princess Moana because chosen by the sea, and she has an ocean connection. Although I do have this fear of being in the ocean when I can’t see anything below me, I love being on the beach and being in the sun! 


If you had an extra ticket to see a WooSox game, who would you take with you? Why?

My uncle Artie and I have always been extremely close growing up, and he was the person to teach me how to play T-ball. I think going to a baseball game would be so much fun with him because we have always had a very strong bond, so being able to hang out and eat some hotdogs and popcorn would be such a great experience together. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I have never been one of the lucky people who catch the t-

shirts being thrown. So, I think I would have a lot of fun throwing t-shirts into the crowd and hopefully making someone’s day!! 

---

What a fun time that would be!

As usual, I want to thank Deolinda for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish Deolinda luck when she competes for Miss Massachusetts! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Deolinda during her journey as Miss Worcester County. You should be sure to check out her Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on.


Thanks again Deolinda, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week