Friday, February 18, 2022

Kayla Wright Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Kayla Wright is passionate about talking about sexual abuse, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Statesville. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Kayla Wright visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Statesville crown?

In the moment I won Miss Statesville, I immediately started crying. Miss Statesville has been a dream of mine since I was 8 years old and the people within the organization have always been like family to me. Winning the title was more than just receiving a crown and sash, it was culmination of hard work. Statesville is my hometown, and I knew that if I ever got the chance to compete at Miss North Carolina it was the only place I wanted to wear across my chest. After winning, I took lots of pictures, cried with family and friends, and then went to eat a huge burger! 


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Statesville?

While I have many goals, my biggest is to make Statesville proud. That may sound cliche, but if I make the people of my town proud to have me as representative then I have done my job. I hope to make them proud in many capacities so keep up with me to see just how I do it! 


What is something you learned about yourself at Miss Statesville that will help you when you compete for Miss North Carolina?

Well for one, I cannot wear a strapless evening gown! I was pulling it up all night so I don’t think that would be the best decision for Miss North Carolina. More seriously, I learned that the people that were also competing for the title didn’t view it as a competition between each other. By this I mean that we did not view each other as competitors but as friends. I still talk to the girls I competed with and I hope that our friendships continue for a long time. The committee of Miss Statesville mentioned that we were the closest group of contestants, Miss and Teen, that they had seen. It was truly a women supporting women moment. 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “L.I.A.R.”?

Four years ago, I was sexually assaulted by my boyfriend. For a long time I didn’t believe myself to be a sexual assault survivor because it was my boyfriend that did it and not a stranger or acquaintance. When I finally felt comfortable to tell my story to close friends, they provided me with comfort, telling me that it didn’t matter if he was my boyfriend when it occurred. I believe there are thousands of men and women that haven’t told their stories because they felt the same way I did. I want to empower these people and teach others that sexual assault does not only happen with strangers or acquaintances and it does not only happen at social gatherings or in alley ways. It can happen with someone you thought you loved in a place you once found comforting.  


As a talented dancer, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?

As a dancer of 19 years, the stage is my home. Dance provides with a place to be free and express myself with movement. I love telling stories through my dances, and I hope that my Miss North Carolina talent is one that resonates with everyone. 


At Clemson, you’ve been a member of the Tiger Strut dance team. What was that experience like?

I was a member of Tiger Strut for my Freshman, Sophomores and Junior year. I am now a co-captain and team member with two other amazing ladies in my last year on the team. This team has provided me with a family at school and has allowed me to continue dancing in college. Not everybody gets the chance I’ve been afforded and I’ll forever be grateful for what Tiger Strut has given me. 


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would love to be in “Inside Out” as one of the emotions. When I watch that movie I like to think that’s how my feelings work. It’s a feel good movie with the perfect mix of comedic relief. 


If you had an extra ticket to a Charlotte Knights baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

If I were able to pick anyone it would be my papa. Although that is a chance I’ll won’t get because he is no longer with us, he would be the perfect baseball game companion. He was a huge Atlanta Braves fan and was definitely cheering them on when they won the World Series. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I would love to throw the first pitch or sit inside the producing room. Two very different things but both amazing experiences. Throwing the first pitch would be a moment I would never forget, but being in the production room would give me an inside look into how games are called and how producers choose what is played to fans on television. I have put emphasis on sports in my time at Clemson in hopes that one day I could work for a professional sports team so any feature or activity in sports is an amazing experience and opportunity!


---


Thise are two very different goals, and I love them both.


As usual, I want to thank Kayla for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.


As Kayla continues her time as Miss Statesville, I encourage you to check out her title's Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on! 


I also want to wish Kayla luck when she competes for Miss North Carolina! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.


Thanks again Kayla, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week