Thursday, February 3, 2022

Project 70 David Ortiz

I haven't purchased many of the made-to-order cards from the Topps website. They're not something I chase, mostly because I'm not sure what they "are". As something printed and distributed the way they are, I'm not sure they're "cards" as opposed to "pictures" or "novelty items". So it's not something I've been chasing. I don't buy the Topps NOW cars unless they feature a game I attended or a really special event...like a championship. I was tempted by the Topps 2020 set last year. But, the 20 cards size of the Ted Williams set was too daunting. Especially if I wouldn't love every design. With the Project 70, I had the same feelings. But, decided that if they did any Pedro Martinez cards, I'd grab those. 

I bet you've figured out by now that I got more than those. I ended up grabbing a couple Ortiz cards as well. Since we've been celebrating Ortiz lately, I thought it might be fun to take a look at those today.

Here we go!


1954 David Ortiz by Distortedd. This is a fun card. I'll admit, though, that the only reason I got it was that I got the Pedro by Distortedd and thought the pair would go well together. I was right.


2013 David Ortiz by Naturel. I had to get this one too. Not only was this one of David Ortiz's most iconic moments with the Sox (my guess it this is what his statue looks like someday), but I was at this game. So, I do try and pick up related items when they're available. One day the SSP version of his standard 2013 Topps card will also be available. Judging by the low 810 print run, I might be the only person who feels this way.


This one's not a Project 70. Obviously, but it was a Topps website purchase this year. And, it illustrates the point that I try to pick these up when I can. There's nothing special about this card. It's a standard picture in an overused design. But, it was something I just needed to have.

What about you? Do you jump to purchase any of the cards from the Topps made to order section?


2 comments:

  1. Haven't purchased any of the Project 70 cards yet... but I hope to one day own the Ermsy Dock Ellis card. I'm a big fan of the artist.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week