Friday, February 11, 2022

Anna Spaulding Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Anna Spaulding is passionate about helping children in crisis, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Thousand Islands. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Anna Spaulding visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Thousand Islands crown?

Winning the title of Miss Thousand Islands was more than just winning the title itself. I was able to win with my best friend Ashlyn Hilts who is the current Miss Adirondack. Ashlyn and I met through the Miss Adirondack/ Miss Thousand Islands Organization and we’ve held titles together for almost 3 years. Being able to celebrate with my best friend was such an amazing experience. Additionally, I was not only celebrating my win that night but my family was also celebrating my sister Emma Spaulding who was Miss Adirondack 2020. Emma gave up her crown that day so my family had a lot to be thankful for. The next day we went out to eat at my favorite restaurant which is the Chinese Buffet in Watertown, NY. I’ve been eating at that restaurant for as long as I can remember so I love going there and creating more memories with my family. I also celebrated by visiting my favorite place in the Thousand Islands, Cape Vincent. 


Do you have a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Thousand Islands?

The Thousand Islands region has a special place in my heart. I grew up there and my favorite memories as a child were on the lake or river in the Thousand Islands. My personal goal is to highlight small businesses in the Thousand Islands but I also want to show people how beautiful and interesting the Thousand Islands region is. I encourage everyone to visit the Thousand Islands because the scenery, food and people are amazing. Please check out my social media where I will highlight areas of the Thousand Islands and suggest places to visit. 


What part of the upcoming Miss New York competition are you most nervous about?

This is my first title as a “Miss'' candidate and I’m very excited to compete in the newer phases of competition. I am nervous about the Social Impact Pitch because I’ve never done that phase of competition at the state level. However, I have been working hard on preparation for the Miss New York Competition and I’m sure my confidence about Social Impact Pitch will get stronger with some practice. 


How did you select your social impact initiative?

About five years ago, I found the Pajama Program nonprofit organization while scrolling through social media. I instantly connected with The Pajama Program’s mission of providing new books and new pajamas to children in a crisis like foster children, orphans, and children in shelters. As an adoptee and a former foster child, I can relate to these children on a deeper level. Additionally, my entire family is built by foster care and adoption, which is why I am so driven to always put the most effort I can for these children.  I collect, count, and distribute every single book and pair of pajamas. Over the past five years, I’ve collected over 1400 new books and 1200 new pajamas. These items have been donated to three local foster care systems(Lewis, Jefferson, and St. Lawrence)  and 2 local shelters. The goal of providing books and pajamas to children is to promote good bedtime routines by making children feel more secure and comforted. Hopefully, a good bedtime routine will help a child to feel more confident and positive throughout the day, despite going through a challenging time. 

My goal now is to expand the impact of the Pajama Program across New York.


What is your favorite part about performing your talent on stage?

I’ve always loved performing since I first stepped on the cheer mat 15 years ago. My love for performing has only grown as I’ve been able to become more creative on stage. I love portraying my story and expressing my creativity through my dancing and fan work. My most recent performance was a Fan Veil Fusion Dance to the song “Live Your Story” with rainbow fans. This performance was represented my journey of coming out as pansexual and becoming more comfortable in who I truly am. I also can represent my Chinese heritage through the gorgeous silk fan veils. I find dancing therapeutic because I can portray my feelings through my movements. When I perform on stage, it’s the best feeling ever because all the hard work comes together and there’s a sense of accomplishment when I hit all my skills. 


How would you complete the sentence, “I get great satisfaction when ___”?

I get great satisfaction when accomplishing a long term goal especially if that goal regards my service or scholastic aspirations. Recently, my parents bought me an organizing unit for the Pajama Program and I was able to redo my counting system for the Pajama Program. I honestly felt so amazing after filling the unit with pajamas because I’ve been doing this for 5 years and it felt like the right time for an upgrade. Moments like that where everything feels improved is always nice because then I can make new goals for myself and the Pajama Program. 


If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?


I always connected with Mulan because I admired her strength and courage but also because she was one of the first Chinese characters I saw in an animated film. As a child, Mulan was the first character I saw that looked like me and that representation helped me be comfortable in my own skin. 


If you had an extra ticket to see the Buffalo Bisons play the Syracuse Mets, who would you take with you? Why?

I feel like my Dad would enjoy this game and I love spending time with my Dad as much as possible. I’m currently living in Ohio during the school year therefore, moments where I can bond with my Dad are extra special since I don’t see him as often.  I remember when I was younger and my Dad coached me in Tee-Ball. I think it would be awesome to bond over baseball again. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I would love to throw out the first pitch of one of the minor league teams in my area. I know my pitch would not be in the strike zone however, I definitely would try my best. 


---


I'd definitely love to give that a try!


As usual, I want to thank Anna for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.


As Anna continues her time as Miss Thousand Islands, I encourage you to check out her title's Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on! 


I also want to wish Anna luck when she competes for Miss New York! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.


Thanks again Anna, and good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week