Friday, December 20, 2019

Brenae Dubis Visits Section 36!


Section 36 has a new visitor! Brenae Dubis is an
advocate for healthy lungs, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Bedford. I was excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So let's see what happens when Brenae Dubis visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Bedford crown?
After I was crowned as Miss Bedford, my family and part of my dance family went out to dinner. My celebratory meal was a shepherds pie. 

What did you learn about yourself at the Miss Bedford competition that will help you at Miss New Hampshire?
When I found out that I was no longer eligible for the outstanding teen program, I was intimidated to start competing against young women who were 5 years older than me. At the Miss Bedford competition, I learned that being young does not have to be a set back. I will be the youngest person to ever compete for the title of Miss New Hampshire, but I am not going to let my age hold me back, or prevent me from thinking that I might not do well.

What portion of the upcoming Miss New Hampshire competition are you most nervous about?
I am most nervous for the onstage interview portion of the Miss New Hampshire Competition. Competing in the teen program, it was guaranteed that the questions would be about your platform. Now, the question can be about anything in your interview. It will be interesting to answer a question on the fly in front of such a big audience!

How did you select your social impact initiative: “Healthy Lungs, Healthy Life”?
I have been a member of S.A.D.D. (Students Against Destructive Decisions) for all 4 years of high school which has strongly made an impact on me. As a student I have seen the overwhelming amount of teens that are vaping. Many are not educated on the harmful effects of vaping and I felt that hearing the harmful effects of vaping from someone their age could make an impact. I selected my social impact initiative of "Healthy Lungs, Healthy Life" because I feel very strongly about the vaping epidemic that is facing high schoolers, middle schoolers, and even elementary students.

As a talented jazz dancer, what is your favorite part about performing on stage?
I have a two part answer to this. When performing on stage in a group ensemble, I love the feeling of dancing in perfect unison and having what we call the "sixth sense" about what everyone is doing around you. I began doing solos to compete in pageants, and the major difference I noticed was the feelings I had pre-performance. When doing a solo, I am a lot more nervous before I dance on stage. The feelings I have after a performance though, are almost indescribable. There's a huge feeling of "yeah I just did that!" that keeps me addicted to the stage.

You’ve been able to do quite a bit of traveling. What your favorite place you’ve visited? Why?
I am grateful to have had the opportunity to visit so many beautiful places so early in my life. If I had to choose one of my favorite places though, it would have to be Italy. I had the opportunity to travel there on a school trip in April, and it was truly an out-of-body experience. I still have to look at the pictures I took as proof that I actually went! My favorite part was the fact that everything had such a rich history in comparison to America. I loved the beautiful architecture, and the stories behind every building. I stood on a floor that was over 2,000 years old, which was truly insane to me. I also love photography, so I enjoyed taking over 1,800 pictures over the course of the 10 day trip.

What is your personal fitness routine?
Dancing for 5 days a week is definitely one of the main ways I choose to stay in shape. When I have some spare time, I love to go to the gym, go on long bike rides, or try out something new such as the trapeze. 

If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play at Fenway, who would you bring with you? Why?
If I had an extra ticket to a Red Sox game, I would definitely
take my dad. Him and I have always enjoyed going to sports games, so he would be a shoe-in for the extra ticket

Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?
Funny story, I'd just want to experience a live baseball game. A few years back, my dance team was supposed to perform at a Fisher Cats game, but it got rained out and the game had to be postponed. I'd definitely would want to experience "Sweet Caroline" in such a great atmosphere as well.

---

That certainly is a fun experience, I hope she gets to do it some day!

As always, I want to thank Brenae for doing this interview, and for sending along the fantastic pictures. They help make the post a lot more fun.

As Brenae continues her time as Miss Bedford, I encourage you to follow her on her official Facebook page. You can also check out her official instagram account. They're great ways to see what she’s up to during her time with the crown. You should also watch her PSA on the vaping epidemic. Heck, watch it twice!



And, of course I want to wish Brenae luck when she competes for Miss New Hampshire. There's quite a few Section 36 visitors who will be on stage for that event. It would be wonderful for another one to come home with the crown.

Thanks again Brenae, and good luck!

1 comment:

What people are reading this week