Friday, December 2, 2022

Meara Seery Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Meara Seery is passionate about climate change, a talented performer, and the current Miss Heart of Vermont. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Meara Seery visits Section 36!

What made you decide to try for the Miss Heart of Vermont crown?

I competed for Miss Vermont the first time as Miss Maple Leaf in 2021. I wanted to compete last year as well but had to take a brief hiatus for a friend's wedding that was on the same exact day as the competition. So, after taking a year off, I was lucky enough to participate in the National Sweetheart Pageant as well as the Cherry Blossom Princess Program, where I represented Vermont and met some amazing women from around the country and the world. The title of Miss Heart of Vermont was actually inspired by two of those women, Ashley Erhart, who was Miss Heart of Oklahoma and then Miss Oklahoma USA, and Hannah Edelen, who was Miss Heart of Kentucky and then Miss Kentucky. I look up to both of these women and what they have done for their communities, and the title seemed to be good luck!


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Heart of Vermont?

I launched my small business this month and am

hoping to create enough revenue to donate to a Vermont organization geared towards climate activicy, agriculture, the environment, or education. I am a designer/artist/photographer by trade, so I've started making designs that can be placed on reusable water bottles, stickers, hats, shirts, really just about anything. The shop is still in its infancy, but I encourage everyone to take a look! You can find it here: https://www.redbubble.com/people/mearcat4/shop


What part of the upcoming Miss Vermont Competition are you most nervous about?

This year I'm changing up my talent from a mix of trumpet and singing, to just trumpet or just singing. I still haven't decided which I'm going to do, but currently leaning towards singing!


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Climate C.H.A.N.G.E.”?

As a kid, I spent most of my time outside. The recession hit my family hard, causing us to move from apartment to apartment and even having to live in a hotel/with friends. But despite this tumultuous time, there was one thing that remained constant: the outdoors. Spending time outside instilled in me a love and passion for the environment and I saw first hand how nature can change someone's life. I chose Climate C.H.A.N.G.E: Creating Healthier Agriculture, Neighborhoods, Generations, and Environments as my Social Impact Initiative because of my belief that nature is healing, and also because Climate Change is the most serious issue we as human beings face today. It is one of the only issues that affects every single person on Earth, whether they realize it or not. In Vermont, many of our industries rely on a specific climate. Maple sugaring, skiing, dairy, agriculture –these are all affected by Climate Change. So, as Miss Heart of Vermont, I am making it my mission to do my part in fighting Climate Change.


What do you enjoy most about performing your talent on stage?

The first time I ever sang in front of people was actually at my first pageant.  Since then, I've loved performing.  I think what I love most about it is the adrenaline rush you get from doing something in front of so many people. 


You had the opportunity to intern for Sen Bernie Sanders. What was that experience like?

I interned for Senator Sanders from January, 2022 until July, 2022. After that, I was offered a position as a Digital Producer! The best part of my job, other than the fact that I get to travel around the state meeting Vermonters and making videos, is that I am not only working for Senator Sanders, but for Vermonters. I love being able to serve the communities that gave so much to me, and it feels great to be able to combine my passion for the arts with my love of Vermont.


If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Oooooh, that's a tough one. My initial thought would be a character that can fly, but I think I'll have to go with Marie from the Aristocats. Cats are my favorite animal, and I think it would be so fun to get to nap all day and play piano!


If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play at Fenway Park, who would you take with you? Why?

I would bring my boyfriend, Michael. He loves baseball and I love the Red Sox, so I think it would be a great game!


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I'm not sure if they still do it, but I know in the past the Red Sox have done Vermont Day at Fenway Park. I actually got to go in 2018, when I won the Red Sox Scholarship for outstanding community service. That's where I was first introduced to the Miss Vermont Organization, because Julia Crane, Miss Vermont 2018, was there for the ceremony! I would love to be able to go back to this event and congratulate the recipients of the scholarship.


---

That's a wonderful goal! I know I've been to Vermont Day ant Fenway before myself, and it's always a lot of fun. 

As always, I want to thank Meara for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Vermont! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Meara during her journey as Miss Heart of Vermont. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on. 


Thanks again Meara, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week