Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Andolyn Medina Visits Section 36

Photo: Robert Braggs
Section 36 has another visitor! Andolyn Medina is passionate about ending child trafficking, a talented singer, and the current Miss District of Columbia. I was excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.
 
So, let's see what happens when Andolyn Medina visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss District of Columbia title?

We had an after-party immediately following, so I got to celebrate with my family and friends who were unable to be in the audience of Miss DC due to COVID Restrictions.


As a former Miss Virginia’s Outstanding Teen, do you think that national competition experience will help you at Miss America?

Definitely! I think if anything just because mentally I can prepare myself and remind myself of things that helped me as a teen and did not help me.  However, it has been 9 years since then and so I have also changed which means the way I prepare, think, and etc has changed.  So prior experience definitely gives me a baseline but I know that competing for Miss America is a whole new ballgame and mindset, too. 


You’re a doctoral candidate in clinical psychology. What do you like about that field?

Everything.  There are so many different ways to pivot.  I began my interest in forensic psychology due to a course in my senior year that discussed the psychology of homicides, violence and etc.  That led me to obtain my M.A at George Washington in Forensic Psych where then I not only furthered my interest in the psychology of criminology but also learned about how psychologists provide assessments to those in the justice system in order to aid the judge and jury in making decisions regarding sentencing, competency to stand trial, and insanity plea.  I also learned about how psychologists can effect policy change through our understanding of mental health, which is not something the law has caught up on in understanding - especially when it comes to juveniles.  My passion within forensic psych also led to the development of my social impact initiative regarding Human Trafficking (which I will answer next lol). 


Regarding clinical psych, I love being able to be a therapist and get to be hands-on in my patient's progress and life.  It is truly incredible to know that for one hour each week you are able to provide people with a space to be themselves and to listen, make interventions in order to help them build insight, strength, and autonomy within themselves.  I also provide assessments and through that, I am able to combine my passion for forensic psych, as well.  Currently, my assessments have been utilized for school accommodations, legal cases, and immigration cases regarding asylum, UVisas, and Tvisas surrounding human trafficking, as well.


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Demand an End: Stop Child Exploitation Human Trafficking”?

As stated above, my social impact began through my M.A in Forensic Psychology and doing an internship with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children- Family Advocacy division.  I spoke to families of victims who were missing and quickly realized that missing children is a human trafficking issue and that the United States is vastly underprepared to prevent and spot the signs of human trafficking.  I was terrified, and realized I had the choice to sit in my fear or to be an ally and advocate for awareness, policy and legislative changes.  Since then, I went on to work for the National Center for Victims of Crime and now, volunteer with FAIR Girls where I provide webinars and local outreach within the DC area where we provide resources to folks impacted by human trafficking. 


As a talented singer, what is your favorite part about performing in front of a crowd?

Being able to tell a story!! I sing opera and so the majority of the time I am singing, it is in another language and while you would think that means the audience has no idea what is going on, if you emote and really sell the piece, they often pick up more than they thought! 


You’re currently an Ensign in the US Navy. What led you down that path? 

I was sworn in by my parents and commissioned to the rank of Ensign on 15 June 2019.  This was not a vision I saw. I have always been an advocate for military dependents and families but I never saw myself in the uniform.  Upon learning about the Navy Health Professions and Scholarship Program (HPSP), I knew this was an opportunity that was too good to pass up. There are several specialties/professions available through the HPSP program but in my case, HPSP offers a full-tuition scholarship to a doctoral student who has already been accepted into an APA accredited university plus a monthly stipend in return for a three-year commitment to serve as an active-duty Navy Psychologist plus a one-year internship. I am so honored to be following in my parent's footsteps; this is one of the best decisions I have ever made!

  

What is your personal fitness routine?

Peloton! I try to workout 5/6 times a week at least for 30 minutes and do a mix of strength training, yoga, and cycling!

If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play the Nationals, who would you take with you? Why?

My dad! He's a big baseball person and whenever I have an opportunity to watch the Nats play I always ask him if he's available because he's the guy that can tell me the stats of the players on the field and really gets me active and engaged in the game (which is easy to do)!  We are also Puerto Rican and so he especially loves getting to see all of the Puerto Rican and Latino players on the field to remind him a bit of home and I think just the spirit of how far we've come and what we can do! 


Is there a feature or activity during a game at Nationals Park that you’d especially like to experience?

I would LOVE to experience performing the National Anthem at the Nats Park! I have had the pleasure of performing the National Anthem for the Washington Wizards, The Washington Mystics, Capital City Go-Go, and Georgetown Hoyas! It would be a dream to sing it at the Nats Park - but I  LOVED whenever Parra came up to bat, in 2019, because baby shark came on and the crowd would go WILD... we also went on to become national champs that year and it was incredible to be there during the parade and to feel the energy! Such a proud and exciting moment!


---

That would be quite an experience! 

As always, I want to thank Andolyn for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Andolyn continues her time as Miss District of Columbia, I encourage you to follow her title's Instagram and Facebook account. You can also check out the Miss District of Columbia website. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

 
I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Andolyn, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week