Friday, October 22, 2010

Long Overdue Thank You!

I’m ashamed that it has taken me this long to post about this wonderful package I received from John over at Johngy’s Beat. A while back, John e-mailed me saying he had some cards from my wantlist for me. He didn’t want anything in return. He simply wanted to help out. Is that amazing, or what? Let’s take a look at a small sample of what John sent over.

The great part about this package is that it had quite of few “Traded” cards that I needed. I wasn’t a frequent Traded Set buyer, so those sets are the reason behind many holes in my collection. John was able to completely fill several of those gaping holes.



I really like the 1976 Tom house. I like the way they made the traded card have the headline on the front. It was a great way to show that by having that card, you were getting the latest, most up to date example that you could. I like the look of the 1981 Topps cards. I may have to try putting that set together at some point. In the case of Carney Lansford, he would win the 1981 batting title. After that, he would be pushed out of his position by some hotshot rookie named Wade Boggs. So, being expendable, Lansford was traded away for…Tony Armas. Which, is why Armas appears in the 1983 Traded set with the Red Sox. Armas would be a big bopper for the Sox during his time in Boston. Not only were Rich Gale and Mike Easler both in the 1984 Traded set as Red Sox, they both were on the coaching staff of the 1993 Red Sox. Easler didn’t stay in Boston too long. He was actually traded to the Yankees (imagine that!) for Don Baylor in time for Baylor to star for the 1986 team. John McNamara also played a key role on that 1986 team. Obviously, it was his decision to leave Bill Bucker in the game at first that haunted Red Sox fans for years.



So, I want to thank John both for his generosity, and for the trip down memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week