Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Lacee Freeman Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Lacee Freeman is passionate about equal sports access, a neurobiology major, and the current Miss Tippecanoe. I was so flattered that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Lacee Freeman visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Tippecanoe crown?

Thankfully, both of my parents were able to come watch me compete so I was able to go out to dinner with them, as well as many of the other contestants, directors, and local titleholders that were there. Once I got back to Purdue, I stayed up most of the night chatting with my friends and family who saw the announcement!


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Tippecanoe?

I have a few goals in mind! I’d like to further expand my platform and outreach within the Tippecanoe community. I’d also like to learn more about the Tippecanoe community and how I can be a proper representative and role model. I’d like to utilize my platform to represent Purdue at university events and events for the general public to share my love for my school! Overall, I aim to make a positive impact on those around me and make Tippecanoe proud when I represent at the state competition. 


What is something Elizabeth Hallal is doing as Miss Indiana that you would want to emulate?

Elizabeth does an amazing job of making everyone feel so welcome. She is also always her authentic self, and isn’t afraid to share the goofy or weird side of her. She actually got ready in the same room as all of us that were competing at Miss Tippecanoe even though she was given her own room to get ready in. It’s truly hard to find someone with such a large platform that is so down to Earth, so I would love to continue to emulate those things through my current title and potentially as the next Miss Indiana. 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Play Like a Girl”?

I’ve played sports my entire life, and I owe much of the life lessons, healthy habits I’ve formed, and my overall success to sports. So because of that, I wanted to give back to the sports that helped shape me. I quickly realized that many youth sports programs, especially girl’s sports, are extremely underfunded. Along with this, realizing this is not only an issue at the level of youth sports but becomes an issue later on where even at the college and professional level, women are not treated equally or given equitable resources. I’ve dealt with the social stigmas, double standards, and societal pressures related to being a woman in sports, so breaking these stereotypes and raising awareness for these issues in youth sports and female athletics became something I am very passionate about. 


You are currently studying Neurobiology and Physiology at Purdue. Where do you see those fields taking you?

With this degree, I see myself becoming a healthcare provider. Whether this is to become a physician assistant or a medical doctor, I’m not quite sure yet. There are aspects of both jobs that I align with so knowing me I will most likely end up applying for both, and seeing what happens! I’ve always wanted to go into the sports medicine field, and ideally would love to work with college or professional teams. However, I also love pediatrics so working in a sports medicine clinic with youth athletes would also be fulfilling! Recently I’ve piqued an interest in sports neurology and the studies being conducted regarding concussions and spinal cord injuries. Cheerleading, a sport I’ve done since I was five years old,  is actually the number one sport for women to get concussions, so seeing these effects and how current researchers are looking for ways to minimize them by bettering concussion prevention and protocols has brought my attention to this field. 


You’re also a member of the Purdue University Spirit Squad. What is that experience like?

It is so amazing! I am on the all girl team, and it has become my second family. The opportunity to represent Purdue not only in Ross-Ade Stadium and Mackey Arena but also out in the community is truly a blessing. My favorite part is definitely seeing all of the kids, and the way their faces light up seeing the cheerleaders. I love the joy that we’re able to bring others, and the ability to add to the gameday atmosphere while highlighting our skills. There is truly nothing like a game day at Purdue! Sometimes it is hard to find a school that treats their cheerleaders as athletes, but Purdue does a very good job of making sure we are treated as such. We are fortunate to be given a wide range of resources not only in terms of athletics but also in terms of professional development and networking. We also just recently made our return to UCA College Nationals, which was very fun and something I always dreamed about being able to experience. I am excited to see the trajectory of our program and the growth we’ll experience under our great coaching staff and the support of Purdue!


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would choose Rapunzel! Beyond the blond hair, I think that she and I share a lot of the same qualities and she has always been one of my favorite princesses. I also love the idea of having a little chameleon friend! 


If you had an extra ticket to see a baseball game between the Fort Wayne TinCaps and the South Bend Cubs, who would you take with you? Why?

I would take my nephew, Brayden! He is a huge sports fan and probably knows way more about baseball than I do despite him being only 9. I just know he would have a great time and he always loves concession stand snacks. He is a major goofball, and I’m very blessed I get to be a part of his life and watch him grow up! 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I’ve always wanted to throw a first pitch! Especially as a cheerleader, doing a back tuck (or backflip as many say) before the pitch would just be so fun. I’m hoping to possibly get the chance through the local baseball team, Lafayette Aviators, or through Purdue baseball. I would say other than that, any chance to get on the jumbotron with my dance would also be a fun experience!


---

Now, that's a first pitch I'd want to see! 

As always, I want to thank Lacee for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Indiana! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Lacee during her journey as Miss Tippecanoe. You should be sure to check out her Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on. 


Thanks again Lacee, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week