Friday, February 24, 2023

Victoria Vespico Visits Section 36!

Matt Boyd Photography
Section 36 had another visitor! 
Victoria Vespico is passionate about sustainability, a published author, and the current Miss Lancaster County. I was honored that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Victoria Vespico visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Lancaster County crown?

The best part about being crowned Miss Lancaster County was getting to celebrate with my Miss America sisters (and real-life best friends). Miss Lancaster 2022 (Now Miss Central PA), Miranda Moore, got to crown me. She and the newest Miss Red Rose City, AmandaGrace Krier are my best friends in the world. We celebrated how amazing it was to share such an awesome story and sisterhood. We also facetimed the fourth member of our little group, Shannon Cattie, Miss Greater Juniata Valley.


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Lancaster County?

As Miss Lancaster County, my main goal is to serve my community and promote sustainability throughout the commonwealth. I have some big goals, but I want to show how sustainability and sustainable development are possible and achievable- especially starting out in small, local communities.


What did you learn about yourself while competing for Miss Lancaster County that will help you when you compete for Miss Pennsylvania?

I have been competing in the Miss America organization for ten years. With each local you gain more skills in leadership, public speaking, and confidence on stage. While I cannot pinpoint a single “new” thing I learned, I was able to broaden my network and meet new amazing women from all over Pennsylvania. Gaining new sisters in by far the best part of the local season.


How did you select your community service initiative, “Sustainability Starts with You”?

I have been a Girl Scout for 19 years. Within the Girl Scout Law, we promise to use our resources wisely and make the world a better place. These are two of the tenants of the Sustainable Development Goals laid our by the United Nations. In 2017, my local Girl Scout Council threatened to sell our beloved Camp Archbald (I know, it sounds like a Hallmark movie). A group of camp alumni came together to form a nonprofit called the Supporters of Camp Archbald. Our goal was to protect the property, increase property usage and camper numbers, and preserve a Girl Scout landmark for years to come. That activism and work is what really kickstarted my drive for sustainable development which lead me to advocate for and educate about sustainable lifestyles.


You host the Sisters in Sustainability podcast. What is that experience like?

Hosting and producing the Sisters In Sustainability Podcast has been an amazing experience. Since launching Sustainability Starts With You, my goal has been to show people that sustainability is more than just climate action. I have also aimed to highlight how the work of every titleholder impacts the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals. All of this, paired with my love for producing and writing, the #SiSPod was born! It has been wonderful getting to share my social impact with people all over the country, helping me to further my mission. It’s also awesome getting to learn about other women’s service initiatives and applying the to the 17 SDGs for the world to see!


You’ve written a couple books. What can you tell me about your most recent, Bring a Bucket?

Matt Boyd
Bring A Bucket is my way of teaching kids how to take part in simple sustainable action. The act of picking up a piece of plastic or any type of litter not only helps with the beautification of our planet, but is could potentially save the life of a marine animal. This helps target SDGs 6 (Clean Water and Sanitation), 12 (Responsible Consumption and Production), and 14 (Life Below Water). I know that children are our future. By educating them about sustainable action from a young age, they are more likely to embrace sustainable lifestyles in the future!


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

If I could be any Disney Character it would probably be Jessie from Toy Story! She is a tough girl with a heart of gold! Her courage is unwavering and she is incredibly loyal to her friends/family. Plus, her sidekick is Bullseye, the coolest horse in the whole Disney universe. As a farm girl myself and someone who grew up working with horses, Jessie is just the perfect fit!


If you had an extra ticket to a Lancaster Barnstormers baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

 My best friend and your Miss Red Rose City, AmandaGrace Krier! She is my partner in crime and the first person I call every day! I can’t imagine my life without her and she makes every single event even more fun! Her and I both love pro-sports. And, since she is also a Lancaster representative, there is no one else I could see myself at a game with!


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I LOVE baseball games. The entire atmosphere displays such high energy and excitement. My favorite part of any game is a ballpark hotdog! But. I would really love to sing the national anthem at a Barnstormers game and use some of my time to advocate for sustainability while I was there!


---

I definitely think she needs to get that feature at the Barnstormers! 

As always, I want to thank Victoria for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Pennsylvania! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Victoria during her journey as Miss Lancaster County. You should be sure to check out her Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on. You should also be sure to check out her Sisters in Sustainability podcast to see all the valuable information shared there.


Thanks again Victoria, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week