Friday, February 17, 2023

Chandler Mordecai Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Chandler Mordecai is passionate about bringing awareness to domestic violence, a talented clogger, and the current Miss Hamilton. I was so excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Chandler Mordecai visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Hamilton Crown?

Winning Miss Hamilton 2023 is a core memory that I will always treasure! My first title in the Miss America Opportunity was Miss Hamilton, so returning to this title is something that is very special to me! In the tradition of the first time I earned this title, I celebrated with many FaceTime calls to my friends and family! I also celebrated with some delicious chips, queso, and salsa! 


What has been the biggest surprise about your time as Miss Hamilton?

The biggest surprise has been the number of people who have reached out in support of Victory over Domestic Violence. Domestic violence isn’t always an easy topic to discuss and I’ve been blown away by the community support I’ve received! I truly feel at home serving as Miss Hamilton and I am grateful for a community that welcomes me and supports my initiatives! 


What is something that Lindsay Fincher is doing as Miss Alabama that you would want to emulate?

Lindsay Fincher is an incredible representative of our state and is doing many wonderful and admirable things! I especially admire the work Lindsay is doing with her Social Initiative: Catalyst: Arts for All. Lindsay works in school systems to educate about the benefits of arts education and I also want to work more in schools with VoDV! I want to emulate Lindsay’s passion and dedication to her social initiative! 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Victory over Domestic Violence”?

In 2014, I began partnering with the Marion County Domestic Violence Task Force as a means to process my family's personal experience with domestic violence. Inspired by the work I was contributing to, I created a social impact initiative, Victory over Domestic Violence. 


My mission is to bring awareness to the violence, but also to the success stories of those who have overcome the violence. Victory over Domestic Violence focuses on advocating for survivor-centered policies, empowering victims of abuse, and educating the public. I wanted to share my story in hopes that it might inspire others to become involved in domestic violence advocacy. Creating Victory over Domestic Violence has allowed me to develop connections and partnerships and increase awareness and resources beyond Marion County and throughout the state of Alabama and the United States.


What is your favorite part about performing your talent on stage?

I love showcasing my energy and personality! Clogging is the perfect opportunity to do that! I perform a fast-paced, energetic routine that always leaves me breathless and smiling under the lights! 


You currently teach at the University of Florida while pursuing your doctorate. What are you enjoying most about that experience?

I love having the opportunity to teach undergraduates! Teaching is a passion of mine and being able to be a small part in many college students’ academic journeys is something I do not take lightly. I currently teach writing, literature, and digital rhetoric courses and it’s such a joy to form classroom communities from students across the country and from a wide range of backgrounds! 


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would love to be Princess Jasmine for a week! Aladdin has

always been my favorite Disney movie and I admire Jasmine’s independence and love for herself! It would also be nice to have a magic carpet to close the distance between Alabama and Florida! 


If you had an extra ticket to see the Birmingham Barons play the Rocket City Trash Pandas, who would you take with you? Why?

I would take my mother! We have a very close relationship and are always looking for opportunities to make new memories! We are also huge fans of both the Birmingham Barons and the Rocket City Trash Pandas! Both teams have such iconic names and we would be thrilled to support the teams! 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I have always wanted to be featured on the Jumbotron, especially if it’s a dance battle! I think the stadium would love to see a few clogging moves on the screen! 


---

OK. Now I desperately need to see a jumbotron clogging battle! 

As always, I want to thank Chandler for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Alabama! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Chandler during her journey as Miss Hamilton. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on. You should also be sure to check out the Victory Over Domestic Violence website to see all the valuable information shared there.


Thanks again Chandler, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week