Friday, February 10, 2023

Ashley Klement Visits Section 36!

Photo: Pedro Heshike
Section 36 had another visitor! 
Ashley Klement is passionate about self defense, a talented martial artist, and the current Miss Miami. I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Ashley Klement visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Miami crown?

Right after winning Miss Miami, my family and friends took me out to celebrate a nice dinner at BJ's Brewhouse. They brought me there so we could celebrate with my favorite dessert of all time, a Cookie Pizookie! 


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Miami?

My specific goal as my time as Miss Miami would be to secure future partnerships for my corporation, Warrior Empowerment, Inc. I would love to work with YMCA, Big Brothers Big Sisters, and the Boys and Girls Club. Furthermore, through these partnerships with my corporation, I hope to gain them as future sponsors for the Miss Miami Scholarship Organization.


What part of the upcoming Miss Florida competition are you most nervous about?

Nervous is not quite the word I would use to describe my feeling towards the Miss Florida competition this coming June. I am so excited and filled with anticipation to see the new and amazing changes that are being brought forward by the Miss America Organization. I've never competed in a fitness segment before at the state level, so I am super excited to see how it all comes together!


What can you tell me about “Warrior Empowerment: Yes WE Can”?

Prior to founding Warrior Empowerment, Inc. I had only exclusively taught self defense seminars to the Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida. As much as this is where I believed my true passions to be, I came to the shocking realization that I was leaving out the vast majority of the population by teaching only to one small demographic. Through this realization, I took the opportunity to expand the program. I took the leap and created Warrior Empowerment, Inc. I created my very own corporation that would lead through the purpose of providing self defense seminars for everybody. As a 12-year Girl Scout and Lifetime Member, I couldn’t give up the special place in my heart for the Girl Scouts, leading to today's partnership with the Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida and Warrior Empowerment, Inc. Through this partnership, I provide a self defense class patch, that I designed, to each of the girls who participate in any of my seminars. This patch is further used as a marketing tool to help promote my seminars to the entire Southeast Florida region. 


What is your favorite part about performing your talent on stage?

It is honestly quite difficult to pick my favorite part of performing my talent on stage. As a Martial Artist, there is so much I can bring to the Miss America stage, and that is exactly what I do. I combine creative styles of open-hand form and weapons! I currently use a bo-staff and nunchucks on stage, but I have even once before used a sword. If I truly had to pick a favorite part, I could cave and admit that my favorite part is the board break at the end. At Miss Miami, I broke 4 boards stacked together! My entire talent is a true joy to perform, and I always have the most fun with every part of my talent on that stage. 


You’re a graduate of Florida Atlantic University. Where do you see you degree taking you?

I had the honor of completing my Bachelors in the Arts with a major in Health Sciences and two minors in Health Administration and Psychology. I further had the honor of completing this within three years; I had no prior credits from High School coming into college, so my semesters were always busy! It is my true aspiration to apply to receive my Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, hopefully from Barry University in Miami where my dad is an alumni. 


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

If I was a Disney character for a week, I would choose Ariel! As a young girl, I always looked up to Ariel as my favorite princess and I always dreamed of becoming a Mermaid. I am personally terrible at holding my breath under the water, so it would be pretty cool to be a mermaid for the day!


If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play the Marlins, who would you take with you? Why?

If I had an extra ticket to the RedSox vs Marlins game I would bring my brother Michael. Many people do not know this about my brother, but he was a travel baseball player for many years. He even had the opportunity to play for Team USA Baseball in highschool. My brother's love for the sport has never dissipated throughout the years, so I would absolutely take him without a doubt. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

Even though my brother is the baseball professional in our family, I would love to throw the first pitch at a baseball game! I've never had the honor, and I truly believe that my brother set me up well to throw a decent first pitch at a baseball game.


---

Throwing the first pitch is a dream of mine as well! 

As always, I want to thank Ashley for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Florida! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Ashley during her journey as Miss Miami. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram and organization's Instagram accounts. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on. 


Thanks again Ashley, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week