Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Ashlyn Mercier Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Ashlyn Mercier is passionate about bringing positivity, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Farmingbury. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Ashlyn Mercier visits Section 36! 

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Farmingbury crown?
I had a lot of my family come and support me at the Miss Farmingbury competition. After I was crowned Miss Farmingbury, we all went back to my house to celebrate. We have a hangout spot in my basement called “Flynn’s Tavern”, which is named after my rescue pup, Flynn. Flynn’s Tavern has become a favorite spot for me and my family to hang out and I was so blessed to be able to celebrate being crowned Miss Farmingbury surrounded by the people I love most.

 

What did you learn about yourself at the Miss Farmingbury competition that will help you at Miss Connecticut?
The Miss Farmingbury competition was the first local

competition that I have competed in. Due to the pandemic last year, most of the candidates went to the Miss Connecticut competition at-large, which also happened to be my first time competing. Something I learned about myself was how much strength and perseverance I have when doing something I am passionate about. I was very sick with a head cold during rehearsals and leading up to the competition, I had lost my voice and was feeling very achy and sore. Despite this, I did everything I could to pull it together and perform my heart out come the night of the competition and it ended up working out!

 

What is something Sapna Raghavan has done as Miss Connecticut that you would want to emulate?
Sapna is one of the most genuine people that I have come to

know. I am so fortunate to have met her through the Miss Connecticut Scholarship Organization. As Miss Connecticut she is always her true self and that is something I admire in her. As a title holder she shows both the glamorous and real sides of herself which is a quality I strive to emulate.  

 

How did you select your social impact initiative, “Nick’s Courage”?
Nick’s Courage was created in honor of my younger brother Nicholas who is a two-time pediatric cancer survivor. He was diagnosed with Leukemia at the young age of two. During his years battling cancer my family would always remind me that I was Nick’s biggest cheerleader. I did not learn until I was much older how much of an important role I played. The goal of my social impact is to continue being that cheerleader for kids who need it by bringing positivity into their lives.

 

As a talented dancer, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?
My favorite thing about performing on stage is the ability to tell a story to the audience. I aim to make them feel emotion though my dance. My favorite style of dance has always been contemporary because I feel as though I can share a really powerful story through my movement. I take pride in self-choreographing the dances I perform during competition because I want to touch peoples’ hearts.

 

You are currently a co-captain of the University of New Haven dance team. What is that experience like?

I have been a member of the University of New Haven dance

team since my freshman year in college. This year I was blessed to have been named co-captain of the team. I have had the opportunity to see this team grow so much over the years and it gives me such pride to be a leader to all the girls on the team. We perform at all home football games and men’s and women’s basketball games. I love being able to show up for our athletes, game days are always so much fun!

 

If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would definitely be Princess Aurora! She has been my favorite Disney princess ever since I was a little girl. I wish I could say there was a very meaningful story behind her being my favorite, but in all seriousness, it is because her dress is pink. My favorite color has always been pink!

 

You’ve been able to attend some Worcester Red Sox games. What do you enjoy about those?
I grew up in a small town right outside of Worcester, MA and so my whole family was so excited to have the Woo Sox come to town. This year was their inaugural season in Worcester. It gives me a sense of pride to have the stadium and the Woo Sox represent what I have called home. They did a great job with the stadium; I love the atmosphere. One of my favorite things is that the vendors inside the ballpark are all locally owned restaurants, trust me the food is amazing! Going to the Woo Sox has proven to be one of my favorite summer activities, I think I went 5 times this year!

 

Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?
As a Red Sox fan, my absolute favorite part of attending a

game is singing Sweet Caroline! It is a Fenway tradition and nothing brings me more joy than when that song comes on. As for something I haven’t experienced, I would love to throw out the first pitch at a game!


---


A first pitch would be so much fun!


As usual, I want to thank Ashlyn for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.


As Ashlyn continues her time as Miss Farmingbury, I encourage you to check out her title's Instagram account! It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on! 


I also want to wish Ashlyn luck when she competes for Miss Connecticut! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.


Thanks again Ashlyn, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week