Friday, January 7, 2022

Avery Holkup Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Avery Holkup is passionate about online safety, a talented singer, and the current Miss Capital A'Fair. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Avery Holkup visits Section 36! 

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Capital A'Fair crown?

When I got crowned as Miss Capital A'Fair, I couldn't believe it. As soon as I was crowned I knew that it meant even more hard work and time that I would be putting into my days along with volunteer work in order to prepare for the Miss North Dakota stage. I think the way that I celebrated was being proud of my self that I achieved something that had previously seemed so far out of reach. I also had to immediately share with all my family and friends the exciting news!


Do you have a specific goal you'd like to accomplish during your time as Miss Capital A'Fair?

During my time as Miss Capital A'Fair I hope to make an impact on the community and get the word out about my social impact initiative Operation: Analyze. The more people that I can reach to talk about the importance of being safe online with our changing world, the more I will feel accomplished. 


What part of the upcoming Miss North Dakota competition are you the most nervous about?

I think the part that I will always be the most nervous about isthe onstage question. For me I feel like that part takes the most practice. It is very nerve wracking not knowing what question is going to be asked, and every time there is a different question. 


How did you select your social impact initiative, "Operation: Analyze"?

I always remember growing up adults and teachers talking about being safe online and reasons why you shouldn't talk to strangers online. For me it always seemed as though I, and the people around me, didn't take it very seriously. It wasn't until I was in my late teen years that I realized how important it was. As I decided to study criminal justice in college, I began to realize how many crimes can have ties to the online world. The real truth is that you don't know who is on the other side of that screen. Sometimes the information that you think is only reaching one person can become accessible to thousands and millions in seconds. I still don't think that people today understand the seriousness of the issue or realize how it can impact each and every one of their lives and that is why I chose it as my social impact. 


What do you enjoy most about performing your talent on stage?

I have always loved music and singing ever since I was a little girl. When I was young I would get super nervous to go on stage and perform. Now I thrive on the energy that comes from performing on stage. I also love to share my talent with the people around me, and it feels good to share it.


How would you complete the sentence, " I get great satisfaction when ___?"

I get great satisfaction when I help others. Whether it be when I am substitute teaching in a classroom, volunteering, or giving someone advice, I always feel great after helping someone else. 


If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why? 

I would have to say Belle from Beauty and the Beast. It has always been one of my favorites, even as a child. I think one of the main reasons I would like to be her for a week is so I could go see her library in the castle and read some of her books. I love books and I have always wondered what kinds of books she would read and have in the library. 


If you had an extra ticket to a Bismarck Larks baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

 If I had an extra ticket to a Larks game I would take my oldest youngest brother with me. I have watched him, along with my other two brothers, play baseball since they were five. I would take him with me because he always knows more than me about sports and has this amazing ability to be able to pick out the little details about what is going on during a game. I love getting to have those little bits of insider information when watching a game. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you'd especially like to experience?

I think that any experience is a good experience to have. I love getting to watch baseball especially with family and friends. I also love getting to experience the crowd and the food! I think that one thing I would like to experience is getting to have seats behind home plate, just so I can get to be closer to the action!


---


I can't argue with that!


As usual, I want to thank Avery for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.


As Avery continues her time as Miss Capital A'Fair, I encourage you to check out her title's Instagram account! It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on! 


I also want to wish Avery luck when she competes for Miss North Dakota! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.


Thanks again Avery, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week