Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Braxton Hiser Visits Section 36!

Photo: Noblesville Headshots
Section 36 has another visitor! Braxton Hiser is passionate about loving thy neighbor, a talented singer, and the current Miss Indiana. I was so glad that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Braxton Hiser visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate winning the Miss Indiana crown?

Winning the title of Miss Indiana was a complete surprise to me! As you can imagine my friends and family were and are still so proud of me. To celebrate my accomplishments, one of my friends took me out to a restaurant in Downtown Indy called Prime 47 and somehow had management edit the menu to say, "Congratulations Braxton Kennedy Hiser - Miss Indiana 2021" with the Miss America logo! It was amazing! My family and friends threw this big dinner to celebrate and it meant the world to me! 


What has been the most pleasant surprise about your time as Miss Indiana?
The connections I've been able to make is the most pleasant surprise I've experienced. Former Miss Indiana's told me about what doors would open having the title and they were so right. I've been able to meet so many people across Indiana that have helped me expand my platform, The Love Thy Neighbor Project, as well as meeting so many accomplished young women within the Miss America Organization! 


What part of the upcoming Miss America competition are you most nervous about?

This might be a little unbelievable, but I'm not nervous at all! I love every phase of the competition.I've always loved being on stage and each part of the competition allows me to showcase who I am, my talent, personality, and what I believe in. 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “The Love Thy Neighbor Project”?

When I landed my first teaching job, I was blindsided as to what teaching would really be like. It was not what I had expected it to be. I had students who didn't have homes, food, clothes, or parents who were living to take care of them. I knew I had to do something when I saw one of my students picking scraps of food at the Whole Foods salad bar and asking strangers for money. In that moment, the Love Thy Neighbor Project was born. 


As a talented singer, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?

My favorite part about performing on stage is giving it my all! Our talents are only 90 seconds and within that short amount of time, you have to show the judges what you're capable of. During my talent, I give it my all, do my best, and perform my heart out! 


You’re currently a third grade teacher. What do you enjoy most about that role?

The best thing about teaching third grade is seeing how much my students grow each year from August to May. Third grade is a tough year for a lot of students. It's the testing grade in Indiana. They all have to take this big assessment called IREAD. If they don't pass, they will be considered to be retained in third grade. So seeing them work hard all year and pass the test is the best feeling in the world! 


If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I actually used to work as Princess Tiana! She was so fun, but if I could choose any Disney Character, it would definitely be Cinderella. She has always been my favorite princess since I was a little girl. People always view the movie as a damsel in distress needing to be saved by a prince. But I always saw it as Cinderella teaching others to have hope, to be kind and to keep believing in your dreams. And of course, I love her blue ball gown! 


If you had an extra ticket to a Fort Wayne TinCaps baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

I would take my mom! My mom and I are super close and do everything together. So why not experience my first baseball game with her?! 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience ?

I would love to see a home run! 


---


That is always a lot of fun! 

As always, I want to thank Braxton for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Braxton continues her time as Miss Indiana, I encourage you to follow her title's Instagram and Facebook accounts. You should also check out the official Miss Indiana website. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

 
I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Braxton, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week