Friday, February 5, 2021

Madelanah McFarland Visits Section 36!

Photo by Sara Coffin Photography
Section 36 has another visitor! Madelanah McFarland is passionate about coping with PTSD, a talented singer, and the current Miss Wilson. I was thrilled that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Madelanah McFarland visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Wilson crown?

The night of, the first thing I did was FaceTime my grandma and my grandpa, they live up in Ohio and my grandfather had been in the hospital at that point for 4 months so they couldn’t be there. My grandfather throughout my whole life had supported me and my dream of being miss America since I started competing at 5 years old. Unfortunately he has since passed but getting to share the first step of my victory and journey towards becoming Miss America is the most special memory I have of winning. 


What part of the upcoming Miss North Carolina competition are you most nervous about?

I do not think I am feeling nerves as much as true excitement and eagerness. I have been working towards this goal for over 15 years. I am so excited to step into the interview room and on the stage to present the best version of myself to the audience, judges, and my fellow candidates. 


Do you have a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Wilson?

My goal is to have the opportunity to speak to groups of our

service members at each major military base in our great state of North Carolina about the importance of understanding ones emotions, the strength there is in vulnerability, and about active coping skills that can be used in difficult situations. I am a strong believer that when we understand what we are feeling our emotional intelligence expands, our ability to make sound decisions is heightened, and our capability to be effective leaders in and out of stressful situations. 


How did you select your social impact, “Boots on The Ground NC”?

As a survivor of post traumatic stress disorder I know the difficulty that can surround asking for help and admitting that my mental health is not where it needs to be. Once I was able to work through my PTSD I decided I needed to do something more with it and when I looked to see what group of people needed someone to stand for them; it was in that moment our nation’s heroes who were staring back at me. 


As a talented singer, what do you enjoy the most about performing on stage?

The adrenaline of those couple of seconds before stepping on stage, and the pure joy I feel when I can express myself through song. I am so grateful for every opportunity I get to use my passion to share a little bit of joy with my audience. 


How would you complete the sentence, “I get great satisfaction when…”?

I have successfully completed an act of service that will better the lives of others. 


If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Moana, I absolutely love the ocean and her joy and fearlessness is something I admire. I would love also to have the power to connect to the ocean like she does. 


If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play the Braves, who would you take with you? Why?

My moms best friend Katie. She is a true Bostonian and a die hard Sox fan and I know out of all Sox fans she is the one I would love to have by my side! 


Is there a feature or activity at a Major League Baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I would love to sing the National anthem and throw the first

pitch! I’ve been told I have a wicked arm a time or two before so I would definitely love to have that honor. 


---


I'd love to do that too! 


As always, I want to thank Madelanah for visiting with us, and for sending along the wonderful pictures to go with the interview.


As Madelanah continues her time as Miss Wilson, I encourage you to check her out on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on!


I also definitely want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss North Carolina title. It would be wonderful to have the first Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

 

Thanks again Madelanah, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week