Thursday, December 3, 2020

For the Good of the Game by Bud Selig


Bud Selig is the Hall of Fame former Commissioner of baseball. While the cover promises an inside story of inside baseball, it goes even further than that. It's a deep dive into Selig's life history in the game, from his childhood to his position at the top. It's all there, as he saw it. How did he end up owning the Brewers? How did his time as an owner go? How did he make it to the commissioner's office? What was it like during the steroid era? Why did Joe Torre's Yankees get away with everything? It's all there in great detail.

I'll admit, the only reason I bought this book is the sticker on the front. I figured that if nothing else, having the autograph of a baseball Hall of Famer would be a good thing. I wasn't sure I'd ever actually get around to reading it. But I found myself with some extra time on my hands recently, so I gave it a go.

Boy, am I glad I did.

This book was an incredible in depth look at a section of baseball that I never hear. Honestly, my only complaint is that it's two short. I want at least two books. One with his time with the Brewers, and one about his time at MLB. Because as detailed as this retelling was, I still want to know more. How does a car salesman get an audience with the commissioner of baseball to discuss buying a team? How does Joe Torre end up sleeping on this couch? There were too many times where the story would say "I sold a car to Frank Torre, and when his brother needed a place to stay he stayed with me." There's more of a story there. I've never asked my car salesman to house a family member. But, the stuff that was there was top notch. Selig's retelling of the Braves moving to Atlanta or ruling baseball during the steroid era are must reads. Naturally, he's telling the story so it's probably a bit slanted. But, still something every baseball fan needs to hear. As is the rest of the book.

Rating: 4 bases

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week