Thursday, December 31, 2020

2020 In Review: Status of the Blog

So, I've already discussed some of the highlights in social media areas enjoyed by Section 36 in 2020.

But, what about just generally? How did the blog perform in 2020 at just being a blog? How did I do as a blogger? As a collector? I'm not going to pretend you actually care...but what else am I supposed to post about on New Year's Eve?

In 2020 this will be my 114th post, down from 137 last year. At just over two posts a week, that's lower than I would have liked. I think three posts a week is a good goal for a minimum, and would like to be slightly above that. I'll admit I was having trouble writing this year. It's something I plan to discuss in a future post, but the season during a pandemic really made me question what being a fan meant and I had trouble writing about the team like it was a normal season. Hopefully writing about the 2021 season won't feel quite so awkward for me.

On the bright side, those posts almost always included an interview on Friday. Hopefully you've been enjoying all the visits from celebrity Red Sox fans (or, at least baseball fans). I think they're a lot of fun, and enjoy hearing input from those types of fans. (This year, I had the surprise honor of including Miss America herself, Camille Schrier, to the list of visitors. That was a fantastic thing to be able to do.) If you enjoy the interviews too, that’s wonderful. If you don't, hopefully once a week isn't too intrusive. Because, looking back, it's actually been almost once a week. Hope I can keep that up.

The Section 36 store also had a great year. More people keep buying shirts, sweatshirts, tank tops, and whatever else. I'm always humbled whenever a sale goes through. Hopefully you've enjoyed all the pictures people have sent in wearing their gear. With any luck, both sales and picture submittals will increase in 2021!

2020 was also a continuation of my blogging perspective to help me find my voice or my place in this wide world. Even with the team itself not quite creating the content, I am still a Red Sox fan. I like talking about the team, and about collecting their memorabilia, and reading the books, and talking with their fans. Just because I don’t discuss WAR on a daily basis or analyze every potential trade doesn't make this a bad blog. Nor does it mean that I can't discuss WAR every now and then. If the people I interview aren't exactly diehard Red Sox fans, that's ok. They can still talk about the type of fans they are. It's called a Red Sox fan blog for a reason. Because it's by a fan, about being a fan. Whatever type of fan that is.

Hope that's OK with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week