Friday, January 1, 2021

Hannah Stombaugh Visits Section 36!

Photo by
Meagan Gilbert Photography
Section 36 has another visitor! Hannah Stombaugh is passionate about AEDs, a talented dancer, and the current Miss South Bend. I was excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. I’m just as excited that she represents the first visitor from the state of Indiana!

So, let's see what happens when Hannah Stombaugh visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss South Bend crown? 
I celebrated over a short stack of funfetti pancakes at the local IHOP! I was grabbing quick snacks all day and was craving pancakes all day, which is something rather odd for me. What was even more odd was walking into IHOP with full makeup, a crown, and a sash on for the first time ever. I got a lot of "congrats" and well wishes! I have decided to make a tradition - if I am blessed with the opportunity of becoming Miss Indiana then another short stack will be on the way to my hotel room!

What part of the upcoming Miss Indiana competition are you most nervous about? 
With the extra year under my belt, I can honestly say a lot of my nerves have been settled about Miss Indiana. I have grown in my speaking abilities and my networking skills, in my talent, and my overall confidence and social media presence. What I am nervous for is that everyone else has grown too from another year! But what triumphs over my worries is knowing that the Miss Indiana Class of 2020/21 is something special and unique. There are so many wonderful girls that I cannot wait to get to know more! I am more excited to meet them all in person and to see how far I've grown than anxious.

What did you learn about yourself at the Miss South Bend competition that will help you at Miss Indiana?
I have never competed in a pageant or a MAO competition
before I signed up last minute for the Miss South Bend Competition. It was more of a hasty decision that led to such an impactful season of my life. I had NO idea how much my title would mean to me, let alone walk away with one. What I have learned most is to trust my intuition because of the confidence this organization gave me. Almost a year ago, I transferred from my small, women's only college which I identified myself with heavily. During that transition, I had to "prune" certain friendships, activities, and mindsets with the intent of bettering myself, and water the friendships, activities, and mindsets that made me happy. My title was a constant throughout that time of change, and my director Quinn Porter stuck by my side throughout it all! Now I am residing at a supportive university surrounded by the people that I love, holding the title of my hometown!

How did you select your social impact, the “Play for Jake Foundation”? 
Photo Courtesy
Laporte/Porter County Life
The Play for Jake Foundation is a local organization based in LaPorte, Indiana that is very close to my heart. The founder Julie West-Schroeder started raising funds for AED's (automatic external defibrillators) in Indiana schools and sports arenas in honor of her late son, Jake West, who passed from an undetected heart condition while at football practice. When I was filling out the paperwork for Miss South Bend, the first organization that I could think of to bring potentially to the Miss Indiana stage was Play For Jake. Since then, I have made multiple appearances about the importance of locating AEDs and the importance of CPR. One of my favorites was the Bolt for the Heart 5K in Michigan City, Indiana which raised funds for ALL cop cars in LaPorte county to have an AED ready to go! I love Julie and we work closely to collaborate on projects to save lives together, because everyone has a heart.

As a talented dancer, what do you enjoy the most about performing on stage? 
I am an adrenaline loving-girl, and the stage fuels that passion. I love the feeling of the hot blinding stage lights, the booming music, and the faint outline of an audience. Dance has allowed me to express myself for more than 10 years in ways I never thought possible. There is just something about it that makes me feel alive! I love all styles, especially jazz and contemporary. I am a part of my school's dance team, and I teach preschool dance once a week at my home studio. I cannot wait to dance on the Miss Indiana stage and share one of my many passions!

If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why? 
I would totally be a character from my all-time favorite Disney Pixar movie, Elastigirl from The Incredibles. She balances her family life with fighting crime with ease and sophistication, all while being relatable and human. One of my favorite lines from the film is her monologue in the beginning of the movie, where she is in an interview about her Superhero life. "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so. I don't think so" (The Internet Movie Script Database (IMSDb)). I just enjoy that line because it defines her character well!

What is your personal fitness routine? 
I wish it was more elaborate, but I just get my exercise through dance practice! I do enjoy hiking throughout the parks in South Bend too. My favorite is St. Pat's County Park because of the St. Joe river!

If you had an extra ticket to a Cubs - Red Sox game, who would you take with you? Why?
If I had an extra ticket to the game, I would bring my late Aunt Diane along to join me! She would listen to every single Cubs game on this old yellow radio while sipping her tea and enjoying the hazy summer nights. I miss her every single day, so to have one more day to tell her everything that has happened since 2017 would be such a treat.

Is there a feature or activity at Wrigley Field that you’d especially like to experience? 
I want to go to Wrigley field and have an authentic Chicago dog while chanting the "Go Cubs Go!" with all of my friends! I really hope that after COVID dies down, I can hop on the train and get off at the Museum district and have a day full of cheering on my favorite team! There are perks from living only 90 minutes from Chicago! 

----

A hot dog at a game sounds like a great plan to me!
As always, I want to thank Hannah for visiting with us, and for sending along the wonderful pictures to go with the interview.

As Hannah continues her time as Miss South Bend, I encourage you to check out her official Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on!

I also definitely want to wish her the best of luck whenever she competes for the Miss Indiana title. It would be wonderful to have the first Section 36 visitor wear that crown!
 
Thanks again Hannah, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week