Friday, February 1, 2019

Lorna Rose Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Lorna Rose is a traveler, a Cowboys fan, and the current Elite Miss Northeast! I'm so glad she was
willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. She is the first Miss Earth state titleholder to visit with us, and I couldn't be more excited. I'm sure you'll love reading what she had to say!

So, let’s see what happens when Lorna Rose visits Section 36!

What made you decide to compete for the Elite Miss Earth USA crown?
In all honesty, it was my best friend Allie Curtis, Elite Miss New England, that convinced me to dust off my pageant heels and get back in the game. The Miss Earth Organization is the 3rd largest international pageant system, so I’m very honored to be participating as a regional titleholder. I’m also VERY excited to compete at a national level!

You're a former Miss Finger Lakes. What was your favorite part about that year?
My favorite part of that year was the morning I received several Facebook messages after speaking at a Take Back The Night Rally about my platform, “Fighting Back Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault.” The messages thanked me for speaking up, told me that I had changed their perception of what a beauty queen is, and said that the world needs more strong women like me. As a survivor of both domestic and sexual violence, it was important to me that I leverage the visibility of my title by speaking up about the realities of these crimes, and by identifying as a survivor myself in an attempt to break down the stigma that so many victims feel about labeling themselves as such.

As a competitor in multiple pageants over the years, what have you learned about yourself from competing?
I’ve learned that I truly am more capable than I give myself credit for. I have always been my hardest critic, believing that I need to focus on my shortcomings and improve them in order to achieve what I want. In that same vein, I’ve also learned that I have a habit of comparing myself to others. Since I’ve begun competing in pageants, it’s become easier for me to appreciate my accomplishments and strengths. 

You recently moved away from the Northeast to Texas. What led to that decision?
I have always been a diehard Dallas Cowboys fan, so of course I’ve always wanted to attend a home game at AT&T Stadium. When I was finally able to do that in 2015, I immediately fell in love with the city of Dallas as soon as I got off the plane. After visiting several more times for games, and spending last summer here for my internship with the National Fantasy Football Convention, I knew that Dallas is where I am meant to be. I’ve been living here a little over 6 months now, and it still feels like one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

A few years ago, you traveled to watch Syracuse University in the Final Four. What was that trip like?
That trip was insane. It was a complete and utter whirlwind. I took a late flight to Houston, got about 3 hours of sleep before it was time to get up and accompany the Syracuse University Orange Girl feature baton twirler to the an early-morning race benefitting the Long Star Veterans Associations, and shortly after the race we were at NRG Stadium. Although we did not win that game, the experience and the thrill of going and being a part of that excitement was unforgettable.

What is your personal fitness routine?
My favorite thing to do – and this is going to sound crazy – is at

least one hour of cardio 3-4 times a week on the elliptical during football and/or basketball games. One half of a game will last at least an hour, so I’ll hop on when a game starts and go straight through until half time. Depending on how I’m feeling and the energy/pace of the game, I average about 7-8 miles per session. I also make sure to adjust the resistance during commercial breaks, and the incline if the machine I’m using has that feature, to work in a little interval training. I also spend at least 20 minutes stretching after cardio. Beyond that, I make sure to rotating which muscles I’m working and I use a “secret” Instagram account I made specifically for checking out new workouts and exercises.

What do you remember about your first trip to Fenway Park?
There was so many people. From the park itself to the streets and neighborhoods surrounding the park, there was so much energy that day.

Is there a feature or activity at Fenway that you’d like to experience?
I guess if I went back, I’d really like to experience the whole crowd singing ‘Sweet Caroline’. The one time that I went, we left the game before that happened, and that’s kind of a staple of the Fenway Park experience, isn’t it?

If you had an extra ticket in Section 36 to watch the Red Sox, who would you bring with you?
I would bring Allie! She’s a Red Sox fan, whereas I’m slightly indifferent towards baseball (but always down for a live game experience).


---

I'm sure they'd both have fun!

As always, I want to give huge thanks to Lorna for doing this interview, and sending along the great pictures to accompany it. They're really perfect! I also want to wish her the best of luck as she competes for the Miss Earth crown. It would be amazing to have a former visitor take home that crown.

As Lorna continues her time as 
Elite Miss Northeast, I suggest you check out her official Elite Miss Northeast Facebook page. It’ll be well worth your time! 


Thanks again Lorna, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week